Cambridge to commemorate Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh at service in Great St Mary’s

Attendance at the “dignified and simple” service at the University Church will be strictly limited because of the pandemic

A service in commemoration of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh will be held at 6pm today (16/04) at the University Church, Great St Mary’s.

Because of the pandemic, the attendance at the service is strictly limited and by invitation only. For those who cannot attend, the service will be streamed on YouTube.

Great St Mary’s said that the service will be “dignified and simple.” Readings will be given by the Vice-Chancellor, Stephen Toope, and the Mayor of Cambridge, Russ McPherson.

Prince Philip was the Chancellor of the University of Cambridge between 1977 and 2011. In this role, the Duke of Edinburgh conferred honorary degrees and visited Cambridge several times a year to discuss University business with the Vice-Chancellor and to talk to researchers and students.

In a statement published last week, the University recalled the Duke of Edinburgh’s “insight, energy, and practical good sense.”

Stephen Toope said: “It is a great sadness to hear of the death of His Royal Highness, the Duke of Edinburgh. Prince Philip’s strong and deep relationship with Cambridge went back many decades, and his enthusiastic support of the University’s work, both as its Chancellor for 35 years and at other times in a personal capacity, was deeply appreciated here. On behalf of the Duke’s many friends and well-wishers at the University, I extend my most sincere condolences to Her Majesty the Queen and the Royal Family.”

Prince Philip died a week ago today at the age of 99. His funeral will be held at 3pm tomorrow at St George’s Chapel in the grounds of Windsor Castle.

Feature image credit: Jacob Gaskell and The Royal Family via Twitter.