Missing ADC cocktails? We made our own inspired by upcoming shows

Cocktail: a mixture of alcohol, bad puns, and love for theatre

Like so many of us, I am longing for the day that live theatre can return. In the meantime, however, the ADC’s online season has produced some truly amazing virtual shows. Whilst an impressive testament to the perseverance and adaptability of the Cambridge theatre community, I have felt that one thing is missing from this new theatre experience: cocktails.

For those of you unfamiliar with the pre-covid ADC theatre, allow me to explain. Every season, the ADC team create delicious, pun-filled cocktails inspired by their shows, which they serve at the bar after performances. Covid has sadly robbed us of this lovely tradition, so to rectify this I’ve made up some cocktails which you can make at home and enjoy with a few of the upcoming ADC online shows.

Long Island Heist Tea – A Blown Job (4th March)

A Blown Job is a comedy musical about an attempted bank robbery. It was originally written to be an in-person show, but lockdown forced the team to adapt it to an online format. They haven’t let this become a barrier and have still managed to produce a full-scale show, complete with costumes and Zoom choreography!

This promises to be a fun-filled watch and a shining example of just how much is possible to achieve virtually with a little bit of imagination. If you’re intrigued about how on earth they’ve managed to put on a musical during lockdown, you can read an interview with the team here.

Without further ado, here’s the cocktail, a ‘Long Island Heist Tea’. This is a rather chaotic cocktail with a fantastic pun in the title (I cannot take credit for this – further evidence of the comic genius of this show’s team). The recipe makes two nicely strong drinks which taste surprisingly good, so it’s definitely worth giving this one a try.

Ingredients:

• Kopparberg gin
  • Pepsi
  • Lime juice
  • Whatever spirits you have on hand

(Image credit: Author’s own photo)

Method:

In a big glass or cocktail shaker, mix together ice, a shot of Kopparberg gin, a dash of lime juice, and half a shot each of your spirits of choice. A typical Long Island Iced Tea would have vodka, light rum, tequila, and triple sec, but, like A Blown Job‘s fantastic team, we adapt, overcome, and make the best of what we’re thrown.

I used regular gin, vodka, amaretto, and whisky. The only important ingredients are Kopparberg gin and Pepsi. Pour half of this mixture into a glass and top it up with Pepsi. Sit back, relax, and be sure to look out for Laura Kopparberg and Pepsi the Cat in the show!

(Image credit: Author’s own photo)

Air Ballwoo-woon – The Balloonist Masterplan: Forgotten Lives (23rd March)

The hotly-anticipated follow up to The Man in the Air Balloon (which you can still watch here) explores alternate realities in the balloonist universe. The Balloonist Masterplan: Forgotten Lives will take you on a thought-provoking journey through art, psychology, and metaphysics. Balloon puns are rather difficult to come up with, but I hope you enjoy this version of a ‘Woo-Woo’ cocktail when you tune in to this intriguing and poignant play.

Ingredients:

• Vodka
  • Peach schnapps
  • Cranberry juice
  • Lime

(Image credit: Author’s own photo)

Method:

Pop some ice into a glass and pour in a shot of vodka and half a shot of peach schnapps. Fill the rest of the glass with cranberry juice and (optionally) a few dashes of lime juice. Give the whole lot a quick mix and you’re ready to enjoy the show!

(Image credit: Author’s own photo)

Gin and Gentility – Shelved! (24th March)

Shelved! is a hilarious sketch show imagining a strange little shop full of unprintable books. From romance to crime, cookery to children’s books, this show is full of witty genre sketches and parodies of your favourite writers. This cocktail, “Gin and Gentility”, is inspired by Jane Austen, and makes for a delectable accompaniment to this literary potpourri.

Ingredients:

• Gin
  • Elderflower cordial
  • Strawberry syrup
  • Lemon juice
  • Tonic water

(Image credit: Author’s own photo)

Method:

Pour a shot (or two if you fancy making it a double) of gin into your glass, with a few ice cubes. Add a little bit of elderflower cordial and about the same amount of strawberry syrup. It doesn’t have to be precise, just whatever suits your taste. Add some lemon juice to help cut through the sweetness of the syrup, then top it all up with some tonic water. Finally, give it a little stir and grab your favourite novel whilst you wait for the show to begin.

(Image credit: Author’s own photo)

BONUS! Wouldn’t It Be Bubbly – My Fair Lady (pre-lockdown ADC main show)

Not a new ADC cocktail, but this is my personal favourite from ADC shows past. It is a lovely and light drink, perfect for enjoying in the sun as you reminisce about live theatre. If you haven’t made your own sloe gin already, you should be able to buy it at Sainsbury’s.

Ingredients:

• Sloe gin
  • Prosecco

(Image credit: Author’s own photo)

Method:

This a very simple, but delicious cocktail. Simply pour a shot of sloe gin into a champagne flute, then top it up with prosecco and enjoy!

Be sure to check out these shows, which will be available on the ADC Theatre YouTube channel, and have some fun with the cocktails. Cheers!

Cover image credit: Rachel Armitage

Related articles recommended by the author:

• Sipping in slippers: How to recreate the ADC from the comfort of your own home

• Interview: ‘A Blown Job’ on making musicals in lockdown

• Lagging preview: We spoke to the incredible team making the most of online theatre!