Queens’ College have cancelled their 2021 May Ball

The committee said holding the May Ball would be ‘neither feasible nor sensible’

Queens’ College have cancelled their 2021 May Ball due to the coronavirus pandemic.

In an email sent out to students of the college, the Queens’ May Ball Committee state that it would be “neither feasible nor sensible” to go ahead with the event.

Citing the reasoning behind the cancellation, the committee states that given “significant uncertainty that [will] remain until at least Easter term” planning and preparation for the Ball has been made increasingly difficult since the majority of planning takes place during Lent term.

The College said that they did consider holding a socially-distanced event yet they decided against this since “smaller-scale May Balls are more expensive per person.

“Putting together a smaller event in a smaller timeframe would mean poorer value for money overall and less money spent on food and entertainment.”

Finally, the committee said “It doesn’t feel right to hold an expensive celebration” in a year when many people have lost loved ones and livelihoods.

Alternatively, the committee expressed a wish to hold a celebratory dinner if regulations permit in June and are now putting their efforts into ensuring the organisation of the 2022 May Ball.

Homerton, Trinity, Trinity Hall, St Johns’ and Sidney Sussex Colleges are among the colleges that reportedly currently have 2021 May Ball committees, but the certainty of events taking place is unknown, with many committees planning for different eventualities dependent on Covid restrictions.

St Johns’ College May Ball Committee has outlined three potential scenarios for their May Ball, the first being a full and normal celebration, the second being a more reduced affair restricted to only students of the college and held in a socially-distanced way, the third being a full cancellation. A decision is expected to be made some time in spring.

Contrastingly, Cambridge’s annual Strawberries and Cream Festival is currently set to still go ahead in 2021, with its organisers remaining optimistic on the basis that it is a “smaller and shorter operation” than most other UK festivals, such as Glastonbury – which has already been cancelled.

Feature image credits: Genevieve Holl-Allen

Related articles recommended by this Author:

Meet the Presidents: The Tab talks to Cambridge May Ball presidents who were not to be

Ranked: The Cambridge colleges that fined the highest amounts to students in Michaelmas

‘It feels good to give back’: What it’s like to volunteer with Cambridge Nightline