Trip to the Gyp: Bridgemas Edition

Watch us stumble through making mulled wine and Christmas pudding in a mug

Hello and welcome back to yet another tiny Cambridge gyp! This time we are feeling Bridgmassy and bringing you some potential Bridgemas Day treats!

Over the course of the weekend, some of my lovely flatmates were roped into making mulled wine and a microwave Christmas pudding in a mug. Keep reading to learn the recipes and find out how we got on. You are in for a crazy ride of mishaps and spillages and some very mediocre cooking.

Better than Mainsbury’s Mulled Wine

You might be thinking, why would I want to make mulled wine when I can just buy it from Mainsbury’s? Well, it is actually a straightforward and enjoyable experience.  Plus, you can make enough to get the whole house drunk for not much money at all – which is surely the number one priority here.

First, scour your whole corridor to find the biggest saucepan you can find. Then all you will need is:

1 orange

1  cinnamon sticks

1 whole nutmeg

Whole cloves (we used about 10)

A thumb-sized piece of ginger

100ml cherry brandy (I am blessed to live with Rachel who makes her own, but you can find some in Sainsbury’s if your flatmates aren’t raging alcoholics)

A bottle and a half of red wine (it doesn’t have to be fancy stuff, trust me, ours was anything but fancy)

A lot of white caster sugar

I forgot to add the sugar in this picture – the first of many mistakes that evening!

Let’s get started!

For the best results, all participants should be dressed in pyjamas and have way too much work to be wasting time making wine.

1. Put the large saucepan on medium heat on the hob. Do not let it boil as that will get rid of the alcohol. Chuck in the cinnamon stick and a whole nutmeg

2. Cut the orange to two and push in cloves until they both vaguely resemble Christmas Christingles. Do not press too much and squirt orange juice in your eye. You have been warned. Place them into the pan and stir

Please excuse the JLS T-shirt. My dress sense has gone downhill since Covid!

3. Sugar sugar sugar. Being honest, I don’t remember how much sugar we put in. It was a lot. Just keep adding until it tastes like mulled wine is a safe bet.

Mulled Wine Sugar High!

4. The final step is to let the wine ‘mull’ for about 20 minutes or as long as seven impatient flatmates can wait. Then feel free to scoop it into glasses with a ladle if you have one. If you’re not that fancy then you can use a mug to pour it out.

WARNING! When consuming please, please, please be careful and don’t spill wine on furniture. No matter how jolly and Christmassy you are feeling, this will bring the mood down rather quickly. If you fail to take my advice and do end up spilling mulled wine all over a chaise lounge, white vinegar is a godsend, not that we’re speaking from experience of course…

The perilous effects of mulled wine consumption.

So there you go! You now know how to make some scrumptious mulled wine that will make you very popular over Bridgemas. Despite the mishaps and the dangerous amount of sugar, we decided the wine was a success, and we gave it 10/10!

Rachel just couldn’t wait!

Christmas in a mug!

The next day, when everyone was slightly hungover, we attempted a Christmas Pudding in a mug. We had big dreams and high hopes, so let’s see how we got on!

I know it says plain flour, but the recipe says self-raising flour- I was an idiot and put the wrong flour in the photo

For this Bridgemas treat you will need:

2 beaten eggs

A jar of mincemeat

An assortment of mugs

Lemon juice

225 golden caster sugar

225g self-raising flour

100g breadcrumbs

A few squirts of lemon juice

200ml of port (it would have properly been better to use brandy, but we used up all of Rachel’s for the mulled wine…)

A microwave (preferably working but that is never guaranteed in Cambridge)

So, having psyched ourselves up all day we got started! There was a bit of stress when I lost the recipe, so we decided to chuck all the ingredients into a bowl and stir. It seemed to work well and we were very liberal with the port which I recommend!

We did have another traumatic experience when one of the eggs rolled off the table and cracked on the floor.

It’s safe to say Vivian is not egg-static.

Once the rogue egg was cleaned up, it was time to put the mixture into the mugs. Now, mug selection is important, but we didn’t have the luxury of aesthetic mugs to choose from.

Here are two of the worst ones we used:

Just some of our classy mugs

After the mixture is safely in the mugs without too much ending up on the surrounding surfaces, it is time to put them in the microwave for 20 minutes. Keep checking on the mugs to make sure they don’t overflow –  one of ours almost exploded. Then, take them out and try your very own Bridgemas Pudding!

I have to be honest and say that ours tasted more like a Christmas sponge than a Christmas pudding. It was still very yummy, and we rated it an 8/10.

Have yourself a Merry little Bridgemas!

I hope you enjoyed following along with this week’s trip to the gyp. We have proved that you don’t have to be the best chefs to make something festive. Feel free to try these recipes are your own celebrations. And finally MERRY BRIDGEMAS AND HAVE A CAM NEW YEAR!