Jesus College Climate Justice Campaign deliver 350 strong petition to trustees demanding divestment

The Jesus College divestment saga continues with a popular-supported petition

Jesus College Climate Justice Campaign (JCCJC) yesterday delivered a petition of over 350 signatures to the Jesus college board of trustees demanding that they fully commit to “divestment from ecocide industries” by 2021 and to a target of reaching net-zero carbon emissions by 2030.

Protestors don horse masks and present the petition outside the entrance to Jesus College.

Following on from a JCCJC protest on October 12th, campaigners gathered (socially-distanced) again yesterday in numerous of the Jesus College courts wearing bloodied horse masks, holding up copies of the petition.

The petition was delivered to the college trustees with over 350 signatures, mostly from undergraduate students but also including the names of 40 Jesus College fellows. The petition was also signed by representatives on both the college JCR and MCR committees.

Fellows and teaching staff of Jesus College have also been actively involved in the campaign.

The petition marks the next stage in the campaign aiming to get the college to commit to full divestment, as the University Endowment Fund, Christ’s College, Clare Hall College and Queen’s College have already promised.

Reflecting on the success of the petition, a spokesperson of the JCCJC said that they “have been overwhelmed by the level of support that it has received so far” and that they are “particularly pleased” to have the support of a large number of the Jesus teaching body. They state that “Jesus College management must now listen to [their] very own in-College expert voices” and commit to net-zero and a full divestment.

The petition has been signed by more than 350 members of the college community.

As the campaign develops, the next stage will focus on reaching out to and securing the support of alumni such as writer Nick Hornby, current Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab MP and Prince Edward.

The JCCJC spokesperson said that they “urge the College to take decisive action – the ball is in their court”.

All images credited to Jesus College Climate Justice Campaign.

Related stories recommended by this author

• ‘Stop Horsing Around’: Students protest at Jesus College demanding divestment

• The University of Cambridge commits to full divestment by 2030