Trinity College replant lawn months after XR protestors dug it up

New turf is finally being laid after protestors dug into it in February

Trinity College has today started to lay new turf on the earth surrounding Newton’s apple tree outside of their porter’s lodge after it was destroyed by Extinction Rebellion protestors in February of this year.

The tree, which is said to be a cutting from the original apple tree that inspired Isaac Newton’s theory of gravity, had its surrounding green dug up by Extinction Rebellion protestors following plans from the college to turn some of their farmland in Suffolk into a lorry park.

Since the protest, the ground has remained grassless and cordoned off by metal railings.

Image Credit: Camfess via Facebook

The college, unlike the wider University and a handful of other colleges, has not pledged to fully divest from fossil fuels.

A statement on the Extinction Rebellion Cambridge Facebook page has stated that: “Trinity College has invested £9.1m in oil and gas companies, the most of any of the 45 Oxbridge colleges.”

Feature Image Credit: TxllxT TxllxT, (Creative Commons License)

Related stories recommended by this author:

‘We’re not back here to apologise’: Extinction Rebellion returns to Trinity College lawn to distribute wildflower seeds

‘The naked truth’: Extinction Rebellion activists strip off on King’s College lawn

‘Stop Horsing Around’: Students protest at Jesus College demanding divestment