What’s On: Week 3

Oh no, it’s Gleb again

It’s not even Wednesday but I’m back with some amazing events that are taking place over the coming week. Here’s some Covid-friendly stuff you can do to take a break from your work:

1. Attend a talk on care during COVID-19

As a part of Political Freshers’ Week, The Women’s Campaign, Justice for Workers and Global Women’s Strike (GWS) have come together to cover the subject of care during the times of  COVID-19. The panel will contain a lot of prominent figures from GWS, who will discuss the undervalued labour that has gone on during the pandemic while campaigning for a living wage for all caregivers. So, if you want to find out more how the care industry has been affected, be sure to attend this talk.

The talk will take place at 18:00 on Wednesday the 21st of October and will last until 19:30. For the link to the event and more information on the panellists, visit the Facebook event page.

2. Stream a Sketch Show

This week, ADC will be hosting Training Wheels: A Fresher’s Sketch Show. It focuses around all the classic experiences as fresher, starting from initiations and first encounters with course-mates to becoming a regular at Gardies. So, if you wish to reminisce about the good old times or, if you are a fresher, recognise yourself a week ago, be sure to stream this show.

The show takes place on Wed 21st to Sat 24th of October at 11 pm. The show is streaming only. Tickets will go on sale at 10 am on the morning of the performance. For more details and to book, visit the ADC Website. Price: £4

3.Unwind on a Nature Walk

After a stressful, academic week, you sure would like a relaxing walk among some nature. Luckily for you, the CU Conservation Society and the CU Nature Society are hosting a walk down to Trumpington Meadows. So, delay that essay or question sheet and enjoy the freedom of being outside as we never know when isolation will strike again. It also provides a great opportunity to meet new people as you will be allocated to a group of six to ensure COVID-19 guidelines are followed. The author would recommend bringing a mask.

The event will take place on Sunday the 25th of October at 10 am. In order to book a place, visit the event page. After registration, you should get a confirmation email with your group and a meeting place.

4. Enjoy some Beethoven

Want to unwind but the weather is not great for a walk? Maybe some classical music is the answer. Trinity Music Society is bringing you the Beethoven Sonatas Festival. 32 Sonatas will be played across the event, curated by the senior Organ Scholar. Trinity students will be able to attend in person, while the rest of us will have to resort watching the stream.

One of the concerts will take place at 8 pm on Friday the 23rd of October. See the Facebook page for the programme and the link to the YouTube channel.

5. Listen to a conversation on mental health

Students Mind Cambridge are hosting a great panel discussing whether your years at university are really the best years of your life. Come to listen to students talk about their experiences with mental health at university, and how they have been finding their life while here. I am sure all of us have wondered if others have been going through similar things as us and this is the chance to find out.

The talk will take place at 8 pm on Wednesday the 28th of October. Visit the event page for the details to join the Microsoft teams session.