What’s On: Week Two

Picnics, yet more quizzes and scavenger hunts galore

Woo, we have made it through the first week of term! This means only one thing, planning how to distract ourselves from uni work for yet another week. Not to worry, The Tab is back with some epic suggestions:

1. Organise a picnic

Do you love watching “Come Dine with Me”? and ever hoped to recreate it in real life, and outdoors? Of course you have. Well this week you get a chance to be a contestant yourself with Cambridge RAG, who are hosting a socially distanced version of one of the nation’s favourite shows. Over the weekend of 17th-18th you get to organise a picnic, bringing your ‘finest spread’ of picnic foods and to meet new people. Teams of three will be paired together for the picnic  (with bribes are available for you to get your group of preferred gender or year group). So go and register with two of your friends for this great experience. As per usual, the proceeds from the event will go to the causes supported by RAG.

Event is running across the weekend of 17-18th of October. Registration is required to participate. Cost is £15 per team. To see more details and register visit the event page.

2. Go for a run

Whilst the in-person Town and Gown event will not take place this year, the organisers have turned it into a virtual event. Run 10 kilometres to Support Muscular Dystrophy UK and to take that well deserved break from studying. As the event is virtual this year, you can complete it via any route that you prefer and then submit your result via the Race Nation app, and you can still receive a medal! There is a suggested scenic route available. (As before, the author holds no responsibility for the weather on the day)

The even will take place on Sunday the 18th of October. The run can be completed at any time during the day. To register, visit their https://www.townandgown10k.com/cambridge/ . Cost of entry is £10.

3. Enjoy another quiz with Student Minds Cambridge

Students Minds Cambridge are hosting a relaxed evening of quizzing. The brief quiz will provide a  break from that essay or question sheet and allow you to test your general knowledge instead! The quiz will be held on Microsoft Teams – no in person interaction needed!

Quiz will run via zoom on Wednesday, 21st of October from 8 to 8:30pm. The Teams meeting details can be found on the Facebook event page.

4. Stream a brand new production from ADC

“Forgive me father for I have sinned”. The Fletcher Players are bringing a brand new comedy, Sinners, to the ADC – a play about four “charmingly and lovably insane characters”. The process of their lives unravelling is told through a series of sketches.  You can read The Tab’s preview of the play here.

(Image Credit: Ellie Etches)

The show will be streaming at 11pm from Wednesday 14th October to Saturday the 17th of October. Tickets are £4 and can be purchased on the ADC website. Further information about the play can also be found there.

5. Go on an adventure

Fancy some adventuring around Cambridge? Well in that case you are in luck as May Week Alternative are hosting a scavenger hunt. The excitement does not end there as there is a free meal at Aromi up for grabs for the winning team. You can join in groups of up of five or you can join one on the spot. It is also a great opportunity to chat to the MWA committee about the society and what exciting things they are planning for this year. MWA is one of Cambridge’s biggest student charity societies that provides raising money for good causes with good fun too!

The event is taking place on Parker’s Piece on Sunday the 18th of October. Today is your last chance to sign up at  http://bit.ly/DiscoverMWA. On the day, find the people in MWA t-shirts in order to start your adventure.

A mix of at-home and outdoor activities for you to take part in this week! Make the most of it before it gets way too cold to do anything outdoors (November is fast approaching!). 

Title image credit: Gleb Vinnychenko (MWA, ADC and Rag logos)