What’s On: Week One

Not even the coronavirus can keep Cambridge socials at bay

The Cambridge social scene is beginning to creep back  from its lockdown-induced slumber – here’s what’s on in Cambridge, week one!

1. The Great Cambridge Scavenger Hunt

Calling all the freshers that are having trouble meeting people during these “unprecedented times” ( Stephen Toope circa 2020) – RAG is hosting a great event for you! Those wanting to meet new people can apply to be placed randomly into groups or you can join as a ready group. You will need to riddle your way across Cambridge and its most iconic spots. Ideal for newcomers looking to acquaint themselves with the city or for returners, who want a reason to revisit all of their favourite spots.  There are great prizes to be won including free food. As per usual, the proceeds will go to five charities of RAG’s choosing.

Event will be running across the week of 5th-11th October with sign ups remaining open throughout. Entry costs £2. Check out more on the Facebook event page.

2. Cambridge SU Freshers’ Fair

Whether you are a fresher looking for ways to meet people or a returner looking at societies to get involved in, this is a must visit for everyone. As per usual the biggest and the smallest of the university’s societies will be represented. So, if you are interested in country sports or assassins’ guild, this is an event you must tune in to. (and The Cambridge Tab team will be there – what else could you need?)

Fresher’s Fair will take place on the 6th and the 7th of October online. See event page on Facebook for full details.

3. Welcome Walk

To start off the year, the Cambridge University Film Society are hosting drinks and a socially distanced walk to Grantchester. BBC are forecasting a good day of weather (author cannot be held accountable for potential rain as the social takes place in England after all…). Meeting at the Millworks, you will take a beautiful walk to Grantchester before having a picnic and returning back to Cambridge. It is your chance to chat to fellow film enthusiasts or just spent a great day outdoors.

The party will depart at 3pm on Sunday 11th October from The Millworks pub. (BYOB). See event page for details.

4. Survival Strategies

Cambridge theatre is back up and running, and during Week One they will be bringing you a musical comedy about a ragtag group of survivors. Their support groups gets locked down in a bunker and they need to make the best use of their creativity and resources in order to get out. If you have been craving your theatre fix since the start of lockdown, feel free to book your tickets. For those who’d rather enjoy the performance from the comfort of your own home, the show will also be live-streamed.

The play will be running from Tuesday 13th to Saturday 18th of September at 7:45pm. To book tickets, please visit the ADC website.

5. Attend a Political Talk

In case you fancy starting your term off with some serious discussion, Clare Politics will be hosting a talk on Russian involvement in the Western Democracy. The panel will be “covering everything from dark money to cyber tactics, exploring the ways in which Russia exerts its influence within the UK, and how our politics are designed to facilitate this.” So make sure to tune in online to get your weekly dose of politics.

The talk will take place at 17:30 on Tuesday the 13th of October online. For complete information see the Facebook event page, including the list of the panelists

6. Take part in a quiz

Test your knowledge in a quiz hosted by Sci Soc in collaboration with Chem Soc. The rounds will consist of general knowledge but there will also be a science round. Make sure you have your NatSci friends on hand. You can enter with your friends as a team of 6 or be brave and enter alone to be paired with 5 other people. A perfect opportunity to get to know more people. Questions will live streamed on the SciSoc YouTube channel.

Quiz will take pace on Saturday 10th at 19:00. You will need to sign up via the link on the Facebook event page.

If you have an event that you’d like to include in What’s On: Week Two, then please let us know via email or message us on Facebook – happy socialising (and social distancing!)

Featured image credit to author