Heroes of Cambridge: Nominations now open

The May Week Mega Event will highlight the heroic work of Cambridge students

The Tab Cambridge is collaborating with The May Week Mega Event to recognise the heroic work of individuals across the University.

The May Week Mega Event will be a a live-streamed celebration of the end of exams and a virtual farewell to Cambridge, hosted by MWA, Cambridge RAG, and The May Ball President’s Committee (MBPC). The live-stream, which will be held at the end of June, will feature big May Ball acts, student performances, and other highlights. All money raised by the event will be used in the fight against COVID-19 and future pandemics, and on the day of the livestream, The Big MAC Campaign will run a ‘text-to-donate’ appeal in aid of the Addenbrooke’s Charitable Trust and the Centre for the Study of Existential Risk.

Over the course of the virtual celebrations, testimonials from ‘Cambridge heroes’ will be featured. This is where you come in: you can nominate anyone who you feel has been a ‘hero’ during life under lockdown. Someone involved in vaccine research, perhaps, or a dedicated JCR welfare officer, or even the friend who is keeping you sane. We want to hear about the people whose kindness, selflessness, and courage should be recognised.

From students raising money for charity to medics working on the front line of the pandemic, The Tab has tried to highlight the inspirational efforts of those across the Cambridge community over these difficult months. But there are many more ‘Heroes of Cambridge’ whose work deserves commendation.

Your nominee can be anyone affiliated with the University: whether it be your DoS, your college mum, or a student society president, if you think they’re a hero, we want to hear about them.

Nominate your hero here by 22nd May.

If your nominee is chosen to feature in the May Week Mega Event Celebrations, we will be in touch to ask for a short video or audio summary of your nomination.

Featured image graphics courtesy of The May Week Mega Event.