Cambridge University fails to provide students with any clarity amidst global pandemic

University ‘amber’ contingency plan is at odds with recent advice from PM Boris Johnson

This afternoon all students across the University of Cambridge received an email from the university’s Senior Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Education) regarding the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak and the University’s contingency plans.

The University has determined that we are now in an ‘amber’ phase, which they state involves delaying the spread of coronavirus and “business as usual as far as reasonably possible”. This means Easter term persisting- with small group teaching and supervisions continuing and some use of online teaching for those international students unable to return to Cambridge. The University has also suspended large group meetings (50 people or above)- which will have a large impact on all May week events- and say they aim to reduce social interaction.

This is however significantly at odds with the rapidly increasing spread of the virus predicted in the coming weeks and the most recent advice from PM Boris Johnson. In today’s Cobra meeting, Johnson urged Britons to stop ALL ‘non-essential’ social contact and implored people to work from home where possible- as the country’s death toll reaches 55.

The University’s plans also differ considerably with recent strategies in place at other universities. Loughborough, Durham, Manchester Metropolitan and the London School of Economics have all cancelled face-to-face lessons and are offering online teaching instead.

The Senior Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Education) offered limited concrete information about plans for examinations, though did state that they aim to uphold the university’s core principles which include “maintaining academic rigour” and  “enabling learning outcomes to be met”. At this stage, exams will continue as planned with some amendments made, for example with regards to the number of students within a single venue.

Students at the University have expressed their disappointment with this lack of clarity and are pushing for the university to make formal arrangements in the coming days- particularly due to the need to factor in revision over the Easter break. A student battling an autoimmune disease at Girton College voiced their concerns stating “I can’t really do anything but sleep because my immune system is struggling. I don’t need to be stressing about exams on top of trying to get better and deal with self-isolation”.

Photo credit: Joe Wardhaugh

There is also further controversy surrounding the conflicting information being provided by different colleges and faculties and the wider university. Churchill college, for example, sent an email to a student stating that the University anticipates that no teaching or exams will be conducted in Cambridge next term and that it is likely university facilities, including labs and libraries, will be shut. This clashes with the Senior Pro-Vice-Chancellor’s email which states “We do not anticipate closing any facilities unless required to do so to maintain health and safety, or if advised to do so by Public Health England”.

This evening all students received a second email from the Senior Pro-Vice-Chancellor, explaining that, following the newer advice from the Prime Minister, the University’s senior leadership team will be meeting again in the morning (Tuesday) to provide further direction on what this means for the University, students, and staff. More updates from the Tab to follow.

The University have been contacted for comment.

Cover photo credit: Joe Wardhaugh