The Pembroke College marriage taking America by storm

Move aside Kim and Kanye, step in Pembroke’s very own Joe and Ella

As everyone at Cambridge University knows, college marriages are the ultimate expression of friendship. Yet most college proposals take place with virtually no thought going into them (I speak from personal experience; I can confirm that it’s a bad sign when your (ex) college husband proposes to you in Spoons…)

But Joe, a first-year Chinese student and organ scholar at Pembroke College went above and beyond to deliver the most heart-wrenchingly beautiful proposal to his fellow Chinese student and best friend Ella.

Nearly 100 people were in attendance to watch Joe and the Pembroke choir serenade Ella with her favourite Chinese song before getting down on one knee and asking her to marry him.

The Tab Cambridge spoke to Joe and Ella to hear more about the proposal, which having been recorded and uploaded to YouTube at time of writing has more than 780 views and has made it onto an American news station (!!!) came about!

How long have you been planning for?

Joe: I have been planning this proposal since I met Ella at matriculation! I knew I’d marry her immediately, but I wanted to make sure I did a really extra proposal that she would remember forever because she deserves a memorable, beautiful college proposal. I’ve kept her waiting for quite a long time but I thought it was finally the right time.

And what was your inspiration for the proposal?

Joe: I settled on surprising Ella in her room as I knew it would be what she would least expect.  I wanted to catch her off guard and she wouldn’t be expecting anyone to be there and then the door would open to loads and loads of people.

What inspired the song was one of our lecturers. He taught us that song – it’s actually really deep, he’s said it’s a really popular song in China about how everybody’s loved someone at some point in their life but sometimes they never stay. And it’s such a tune so I decided to arrange it for the choir and then we all came to her room to surprise her.

How long did it take to practice both your own solo and teaching the choir?

Joe: I was practicing quite a lot in the shower, then I wrote the music for the choir and then we rehearsed it for a couple of evenings and then we were ready to go.

You invited over 100 people – you obviously wanted as many people as possible there to make Ella feel special

Joe: I thought it would be a really beautiful moment for lots of people that Ella knows to come – it was a celebration of Ella!

Ella: There were so many people, people I had barely spoken to before as well almost made me feel famous!

Did it all go as planned, exactly as you envisaged or did anything go wrong or cause you stress on the night?

Joe: Nothing really, apart from the fact I forgot a ring! Other than that everything went perfectly, except I was quite nervous when we walked into the corridor and we had already 30 people in the choir but then over 60 other spectators in the corridor at which point I thought this could be really loud and maybe Ella will hear but I think everyone kept it just hushed enough.

Ella: I heard nothing so it was perfect.

Were you expecting it, Ella?

Ella: I had the feeling that he was going to propose to me that day because he had already told me to keep my schedule free for a certain time. I thought it’d just be very low key, you mentioned that maybe like 10 people might be involved – I wasn’t expecting so many!

People are saying that’s the greatest college marriage of all time! Are you proud? Is it something you’ll be telling your grandchildren about?

Ella: Definitely.

Joe: I’m proud of it! My grandchildren will defiantly know Ella so it will definitely come up.

Ella: You’re not getting rid of me – we’re married now!

And it reached America! How did that happen?

Joe: About an hour after I posted the video of it on my YouTube somebody asked me to get in touch with them, so I did and it quickly became apparent that this wasn’t a low key thing, it was a genuinely very big TV show in America. They called me and I explained to them what college marriages are – I was always in disbelief I couldn’t believe it would come to anything but then it did.

What would it mean to you if the video made it to China?

Joe: I think the person who has been the most moved when they saw the proposal video was our lecturer so that can only promise that if it hit China I think it would take it by storm.

Last question; how’s married life so far?

Ella: We’re still in the honeymoon phase.

Joe: We will always be in the honeymoon phase.

Many congratulations Joe and Ella, may your marriage bring you both eternal happiness and good luck with raising your children!

Image credit: Joe Beadle