Image may contain: Person, Human, Spire, Tower, Steeple, Building, Architecture, Church, Cathedral

What’s On: Week Five

Interesting things to do in Cambridge this week to alleviate those Week 5 blues!

Gleb:

1) Get some free food at Queens Vegan Potluck

Lovers of vegan food are in luck. There is a vegan evening with FREE vegan cakes and soft drinks. Feel free to bring your own food (purchased or home cooked). However, do make sure to bring your own cutlery and a container in order to reduce waste.

Queens Vegan Potluck will take place at the Armitage Room in Queens’ College Cripps on 17th February from 7pm-8:30pm.

2) Hear Professor Lord Martin Rees’ talk, ‘From Mars to the Multiverse’

For those among you who are interested in science, one of the leading cosmologists will be giving a talk in Old Combination room in Trinity. The talk is expected to cover multiple parts of cosmology including steady state theory and the future of the universe. The talk starts at 18:15 with refreshments available from 18:00. And yes, it is completely free.

Lord Martin Rees’ talk will take place in Trinity College’s Old Combination Room on 20th February, beginning at 6pm.

3) Attend the Twilight in the Botanic Gardens event

If you fancy looking at some amazing plants in the dark, be sure to come to this late visit to the gardens. This is particularly good if you would like to combine the thrill of the dark with the satisfaction of finding out about fascinating greenery. Feel free to wonder into the gardens between 16:30 and 19:30. This event is free!

Twilight in the Botanic Gardens will take place from 4:30 to 7:30 on February 19th.

Joe:

4) Listen to former Speaker of the House of Commons, John Bercow, speak at the Union.

John Bercow has had some fairly iconic moments during his ten years as Speaker of the House of Commons (2009-2019). His ability to put-down garrulous MPs is the subject of many a YouTube compilation. This should make for a very entertaining event, so make sure you don’t miss it! Note that you will need to be a member of the Union to attend this event.

The Rt. Honourable John Bercow will be speaking at the Union on February 14th at 1:30pm.

5) Have some drinks at the Jesus May Ball Launch Party

The theme for this year’s Jesus May Ball will be announced this coming Tuesday! The event will end up in Cindies for the official launch party, where there will be deals such as 3 VKs for £5 and 4 Jaeger-Bombs for £10. Tickets for the Cindies event will cost £5.

The Jesus May Ball Launch Party will take place at Ballare on 18th February at 10pm.

6) Art: Portraying Women in Cambridge Today

This panel event will focus on the representation of women in Cambridge portraiture, focusing on the issue of female Cambridge alumni being under-represented in portraits. The discussion will be chaired by Dr Alexander Marr, the Director of the Centre for Visual Culture. There will also be a drinks reception at 7pm following the event!

Portraying Women in Cambridge Today will take place in the Lecture Theatre at Trinity Hall from 5:00-6:30pm on 18th February.