Image may contain: Tower, Spire, Steeple, Cathedral, Church, Building, Architecture, Person, Human

What’s On: Week Three

Some wacky things to do in Cambridge this week

1. Go and watch Wilde’s tragedy, Salomé, at the Corpus Playroom

Having seen this production last night, I can summarise it as a colourful, witty and sensual play. I greatly enjoyed it and think you will too! Salomé, first performed in 1891, tells the Biblical story of Salome, daughter of Herodius, and her dark request for the head of a prophet – Jokanaan (John the Baptist) as payment for a dance she performs. The production, on until Saturday 1st February, is a futuristic take on Wilde’s only tragedy.

Salomé opened at Corpus Playroom at 7pm on Tuesday 28th January and runs until Saturday 1st February.

2. Find some good deals at Cambridge’s Affordable Vintage Fair

If you feel in need of some new clothes, why not get some in a cheaper and more environmentally-friendly way at the vintage fair this weekend. Each item is handpicked and spans a range of dates from 1940-1990s. Plus, entry is only £2.50!

Cambridge’s Affordable Vintage Fair is being held on Saturday 1st February from 10:30am-4:30pm at the Cambridge Guildhall.

3. Buy food responsibly at SCOOP’s second event!

SCOOP is back for its second opening of the term. SCOOP is an eco-friendly, student-led organisation which aims to provide an outlet for buying non-perishable food items on their own with no plastic involved. ‘Selling at wholesale prices, SCOOP isn’t out to make a profit, just to help you transition to a minimum waste life.’ Be conscious of your impact on the environment and head down to SCOOP’s second event to buy non-perishable food in an environmentally-friendly way.

SCOOP 2 is taking place on the 1st February from 11am-4:30pm at Gonville and Caius College JCR.

4. See David Baddiel’s comedy show ‘Trolls: Not The Dolls’

David Baddiel, responsible for the iconic World Cup anthem ‘Three Lions’, is coming to Cambridge next week on a tour of his new show, ‘Trolls: Not The Dolls’. Ease some of the stress of term through enjoying what promises to be a ‘comedy journey into our culture’s most dank virtual underground.’

Trolls: Not The Dolls is on at the Cambridge Corn Exchange on Wednesday 5th February at 7:30pm.

5. Stay up all night at Turf

Celebrating its 8th birthday, this upcoming Turf is going to be a night full of ‘groove-heavy feel good music in every sense: soulful funky house underpinned by dense basslines, interspersed with Detroit-style cuts.’ Not sure what Detroit-style cuts are but I’m sure they’re great! Dan Shake, a ‘Turf legend’ is opening the DJ sets.

Turf 8th Birthday is taking place on Saturday 1st February from 11pm-6am at Cambridge Junction. Tickets £20.

6. Go to the Cambridge Super Bowl Party 2020 at the Union

If you are an NFL fan make sure you don’t miss the showing of the Super Bowl LIV live in the Cambridge Union! The Kansas City Chiefs will play the San Francisco 49ers in what will hopefully be a very exciting match.

The Cambridge Super Bowl Party 2020 will be held on Sunday 2nd February at 8pm. Note that you have to be a member of the union to attend.