Image may contain: Orange, Human, Person, Fruit, Food, Citrus Fruit, Plant

10 reasons to buy your fresh fruit and veg from Cam market

Even though the market doesn’t have Nectar points!

1. The market is closer to most colleges than Sainsbury’s

According to Google Maps (the trustiest of primary sources), most colleges are either closer to the market than they are to Mainsbury’s, or are equidistant between the two. So if you’re heading off from Catz, Queens', or Corpus (among many others), shopping at the market will save your steps and your precious time.

Image may contain: Number, Symbol, Page, Menu, Text

Statistical evidence – 14 closer colleges!!!

2. It supports small local businesses and farmers

There are so many reasons why supporting small local businesses is a good idea – from boosting the local economy to reducing the impact on the environment by investing in farmers who choose sustainable farming techniques over industrial processes. Check out this TED Talk if you’re interested in learning more.

3. You get to choose exactly how much you want to buy

While Sainsbury’s is obligated to keep their portions consistent, fruit and veg from the market can come in all shapes and sizes. The market also sells a lot more produce by weight, as opposed to being pre-portioned in the supermarket, giving you the freedom to buy as much you need. This reduces both food waste and the money you spend on food which inevitably ends up in the bin.

4. Get some fresh air while you shop

Being cooped up in the library or the lecture hall all day, it’s good to try and maximise the time we spend outdoors – doing your food shop in the fresh air kills two birds with one stone!

Image may contain: Street, Road, Neighborhood, Plaza, Town Square, House, Mansion, Housing, Condo, Landscape, Outdoors, Nature, Panoramic, Scenery, Architecture, Downtown, Building, Urban, Metropolis, Town, City

It's so pretty from above!

5. There are great discounts on slight-less-than-perfect produce

Although Sainsbury’s may have its yellow labels, have you ever seen them sell six avocados for £2.50?! The veggie stalls are a treasure trove for bargains on unloved fruit and veg.

6. Less plastic!

The market is not completely void of plastic, but you’ll definitely see a lot less of it, which makes it so much easier to choose plastic-free options when you do your food shop. Loose items can be hand-picked and packaged in brown paper bags, or you can even bring your own reusable bags if you really want to minimise your waste.

7. It's affordable

Market vegetables are relatively cheap compared with Sainsburys’ higher price point 'So Organic' range – and if you shop in season, the prices are lower still. Checking which vegetables are in season usually just involves a quick google. If that’s too difficult, the vegetables which are in season are generally the ones that are most abundant at the stands. Even if that doesn’t make it clear enough, another brilliant thing about the market stands is that the people who run them know plenty about their produce, so never be afraid to have a chat with the vendors about what produce is the best quality and cheapest at this time of year.

8. You get way more variety than any supermarket

There are at least two veggie stands open every day. One time on a Saturday there were no less than five different stands, all selling a huge variety of interesting fruit and veg which you wouldn’t ever find in Sainsbury’s, from heritage tomatoes to purple carrots to spaghetti squash!

9. Market fruit and veg is fresher and tastier

Most of the fruit and veg you get from the market has gone straight from the ground at peak ripeness and into your basket within a matter of days. This allows it to retain the flavour and nutrients which supermarkets erode through the use of chemical preservatives and accelerated ripening techniques.

Image may contain: Tent, Plant, Bazaar, Shop, Market, Person, Human

The colours ?

10. It's wholesome

There’s something about mooching round the colourful stands at the market, loading your basket with hand-picked fruit and veg and interacting with other friendly market-goers which just soothes the soul. I’d take it any day over barging around a crowded Sainsbury’s, trying to avoid running into that one-night stand or that supo partner who always wants to chat about work. The market is simply a much more peaceful place to be.

Images: Writer's own, Marvinthefish, Andrew Dunn