Image may contain: Brick

Robinson Rent: Banners broadcast student concerns

Porter’s were not happy…

banners cut the rent Robinson student protest

The Robinson 'Cut the Rent' the campaign has escalated its efforts, dropping three banners around the college this afternoon. One was placed outside of the JCR windows, another on Long Court and in the main college building. The banners called for rent to be cut, labelling the college 'Rip Off Robinson'.

The campaign, who have support from the college's JCR, previously handed a petition with 199 signatures into college. They had called for a 20% rent cut and increase in the number of value rooms, the college's lowest priced accommodation. Although the college have provided the campaign 'a commitment' to increase the number of 'value' rooms, the campaign told The Tab 'there have been no concessions made on the central demand of the student campaign, the price of accommodation at Robinson.'

They explained that the decision to move the campaign further came after 'a meeting between students representing the campaign earlier this week at which the Finance Bursar rejected the demands in the petition and was unwilling to negotiate with students on the cost of rooms in college'. They wished to 'show the level of student anger and pressure the college to cut the rent.'

Image may contain: Brick

The banners starkly contrasted with Robinson's regular red-brick aesthetic

The protest was met by college resistance and porters have removed one banner and attempted to confiscate another. However, the campaign is optimistic that 'the banners drew attention from students, staff, and visitors at the college during the lunchtime rush for the buttery.'

Stella Swain, a campaigner, said 'Robinson students face unfairly high rents that are an access problem for the college and a welfare issue for its students' and hopes that the college will take the protest as a sign 'that students are angry at their intransigence, and will keep pushing for more affordable rents for all.'

Currently all but three of the 2017 entry year group pay more than £1600 for a ten week lease, placing Robinson's rents as one of the highest in the university.