Image may contain: Planetarium, Building, Architecture

New Hall’s new art

The college is opening it’s exhibition on 7th February

Murray Edwards is welcoming the leading American artist Mary Kelly's collection 'Extase and the birth of a women's art collection'. The exhibition 'tells the story of her time in Cambridge and explores Extase– the extraordinary work that she completed in Cambridge.'

The artist previously stayed in Medwards (then New Hall) for the academic year 1985-6 whilst she was the artist in residence with Kettle's Yard. Her artwork Extase acted as an inspiration for the New Hall Art Collection, which is now the largest collection of modern and contemporary works by women in Europe.

Kelly's work was the catalyst of Murray Edwards' art collection

Commenting on the collection, Eliza Gluckman, who is in charge of the collection, told The Tab that the exhibition is 'programmed to coincide with the re-opening of Kettle's Yard.'

She told The Tab that 'Kelly creates large scale narrative installations and contact with the University of Cambridge fed into her interdisciplinary approach to art.'

The exhibition open 7th February and will run till the 28th of May 2018. It will be in the Lower Fountain Court Gallery of Murray Edwards College.