Image may contain: Person, People, Human

Blind Date: “The highlight of the night and the awkward moment were one and the same”

Law student Freddy meets Music student Ted

Awkward date blind date cambridge student interview The Tab Cambridge

With over 80 applications, it's time for The Tab's Cupid to fire the first arrow. How did it go?

FREDDY ON TED:

Expectations for the evening?

I was just looking for a fun evening with a nice guy.

First impression of Ted in three words?

Lovely guy, colourful-sweater (it's one word, I swear).

Highlight of the night.

The highlight of the night and the awkward moment were one and the same – there was this really drunk guy who kept approaching us. At one stage he entrusted me with his bag from Tesco, and then left by saluting us and complimenting my hair (incredibly awkward and surreal but I thought it was hilarious).

Awkward moments?

^^^

Any interesting things in common?

We were both interested in theatre things and had been in Edinburgh this summer for the Festival.

What do you think he made of you?

Probably thought I was a bit of a tit (accurately so).

Is there anything you would change about the night?

I would say somewhere quieter but then we wouldn't have had the delights of the drunk guy.

Rate the date:

7/10

Would you like to see Ted again?

Sadly, the spark wasn't really there so I think not – but I would recommend him for anyone else!

Image may contain: Word, Trademark, Logo

Sign up for the Tab Blind Date to realise your romantic goals

TED ON FREDDY

Expectations for the evening?

I didn’t really have any set expectations going into the date – I was ready to be surprised. After all, that’s kind of what a blind date is about, right?

First impression of Ted in three words?

Well-dressed, confident, funny.

Highlight of the night.

Being accosted twice by this drunk old man – at one point we thought he was some kind of undercover Tab journo… he saluted me and when I tried to salute him back he scowled. I’m not sure what that means. It was a hilarious ice breaker though.

Awkward moments?

Aside from being accosted by the old guy (which was hilariously awkward), there were a few awkward silences while I bought drinks. We had a table that was too far from the bar to comfortably hold a conversation, but too close for it not to be slightly awkward not to be talking. That was probably my fault as I’m pretty socially inept!

Any interesting things in common?

We both like traveling – and shared horror stories of holidays with disorganised people! He also writes plays which I thought was really cool, I write music but it’s nice to meet a fellow creative. Oh, and we both like to drink. In moderation, obviously.

What do you think he made of you?

I don’t really know, I tend to come across as awkward on first dates – not good at the whole small talk thing. Hopefully he thought I was funny though!

I’m not sure if being accosted by the drunk old man was a good or a bad thing – it certainly broke the ice. I would probably have gone in a bit more confident from the outset!

Rate the date:

A solid 8/10

Would you like to see Ted again?

Yeah sure! He seemed really nice. Not sure if it would be romantically though, I’m not sure there was a spark in that sense.