Cambridge sinks in Student Experience Rankings

The university performed awfully in welfare

mental health Oxford. Academic rankings Student Experience university welfare

Cambridge university has dropped 20 places in the Times Higher Education Student Experience Rankings. In the space of a year the university sank from 9th to 29th in the rankings, which are based on a survey on student satisfaction in each ranked institution.

The survey asks a thousand undergraduates from each university on their experience relating to particular areas of university life. Surveyed areas include facilities, welfare, social life and academic experience. Strong performers include Harper Adams university, which topped the rankings, as well as Loughborough which ranked highest in three individual areas.

Cambridge performed particularly poorly in the welfare rankings, coming 59th in the country. The University is often criticised for its lack of support, poor intermission policies and generally inability to tackle mental health, something born out in the rankings.

If these guys don’t win, it has been a bad year

Another area of shortcoming was Facilities, with Cambridge placing 39th despite its massive endowment and spending power, behind Leeds Beckett and Teesside University.

Unsurprisingly, the university came 44th for social life, as well as 6th for academic experience, beaten by Oxford, St Andrews and Bangor. For students nervous they may be jobless after university, there is a glimmer of hope, with Cambridge ranking 9th for industry connections.

In yet another blow to the self esteems of CanTabs everywhere, Oxford trounced Cambridge in almost all areas, coming seventh overall. Between the QS world rankings and this, things are looking bleak. But at least we won the rugby.