Lent Term Playlist: 8 songs to sum up this term

WORK WORK WORK WORK WORK WORK

Features jams Lent Music playlist tunes

It’s been a long and eventful second term, and as Week 8 approaches the end is in sight.

And what better way to reflect upon the roller-coaster ride that is Lent term than through the power of music. Here’s a week-by-week playlist that sums up some of the feelings that you may have felt over the last eight weeks:

Week 1: Soul II Soul – Back To Life

“Back to life, back to reality…”

After the bliss/boredom of the long Christmas vacation, Week 1 saw us all return to the cold, hard grind of the Cambridge bubble. Scientists had exams, arts students had the work that they should have done over the holidays and all of us had Sunday Life (get it?) to remind us of just how gloriously shitty Cambridge nightlife is lest we’d forgotten.

IMG_20160112_205740

“Back to life, back to the bullshit”

Week 2: Tame Impala – New Person, Same Old Mistakes

“Feel like a brand new person (But you’ll make the same old mistakes)”

The bitter realisation that our New Year’s resolutions to get more organised, do more extra-curricular activities, get in better shape etc. all went out of the window as soon as shit got real with work. Speaking of which…

Week 3: Rihanna – Work (ft. Drake)

“Work, work, work, work, work, work/(gibberish)/work, work, work, work, work, work/(more gibberish)”

Pretty self-explanatory really.

20160229_223935

“I know you need to get done, done, done, done…”

Week 4: Bon Jovi – Livin’ On A Prayer

“Whoaaaa, we’re half way thereeee”

Halfway through the term and we’re just about surviving. If you weren’t one of the sensible people who did the right thing and stopped going out after Week 2, you probably started to get sick of hearing this damn song every Wednesday Cindies (sort it out Ballare).

Week 5: Elliott Smith – Miss Misery

“I’ll fake it through the day, with some help, from Johnny Walker Red”

The Week 5 blues hit like a truck. Time to turn to some form of alcohol to cope with the pain, be it whiskey, vodka or those ubiquitous fucking VKs.

20160229_141637

Even the architecture got the blues

Week 6: Priscilla Ahn – Fine On The Outside

“And so I just sit in my room/After hours with the moon/And think of who knows my name”

Housing ballot dramas, college cliqueyness (word?) and general unsurety (also a word?) regarding friendships might have left some of us wondering where we fit in. And yet we put on a brave face and carry on (procrastinating that is).

Week 7: The Impressions – Keep On Pushing

“Now maybe some day/I’ll reach that higher goal/I know that I can make it/With just a little bit of soul”

The end of term finally looms over the horizon. Those final essays get hurriedly written. It’s going to be OK.

20160212_211239

Lent term had me like…

Week 8: Jason Derulo – Don’t Wanna Go Home

“Ayo me say day oh/Daylight come and we don’t wanna go home”

The term might be over but for most of us, it’s bittersweet. Sure, the stress of deadlines is gone, at least for a brief while, but most of us (except those lucky English & History bastards) have revision to look forward to over the Easter vacation. And at the end of the day, as crazy as this place is, most of us secretly love it. Where else would the terms “bop”, “buttery” and “NatSci” make sense? Where else would complaining so much be socially acceptable? At what other uni would we cram so much into 8 measly weeks? Here’s to you, Cam.

Bonus track (The Tab exclusive): Ben Howl – Man With No Will

“I’ve lost sobriety”

Recorded live on Place To Be (Tuesdays at 2 pm on CamFM*), up-and-coming Cambridge musician Ben Howl sums up the entire term in a beautifully haunting song that you should all check out.

20160220_023309

Yours truly (pictured left), up-and-coming Cambridge musician Ben Howl (centre) and some random dickhead that we don’t know (right)

*shameless plug totally intended

And so there we have it, Lent term is over. See you all in Easter (or probably not because you’ll all be working).