REVIEW: Farewell Tim

Helen Ockenden enjoys a fast-moving sketch show from the minds of veteran funny folks, Robb and Knights.

charlie robb Comedy farewell tim review Reviews sam knights sketch comedy Theatre

Tim’s story, from start to finish, from success to failure, from end to end, is immortalised in this fast-paced and highly engaging sketch show written and performed by comedy duo Charlie Robb and Sam Knights. But just who Tim is exactly, is a decision left up to the audience.

The comic potential of everyday euphemisms for death is exploited beautifully in the opening sketch of the show, when Sam Knights breaks the news of Tim’s departure from the world of the living, and the duo decide to celebrate his life through comedy. At times feeling like a stream of consciousness, wonderfully amusing but increasingly bizarre memories and anecdotes about Tim’s life are presented to the audience. The connection of each sketch to Tim’s life is not always evident, but the threads are all drawn together with conviction in the finale.

Tim’s life: it’s just like yours or mine. (Photo credit: Emily Dean)

One of the highlights of the show is the high level of audience interaction, which is maintained throughout. In one particularly memorable scene, an unwary audience member is invited onstage to join the action, providing hilarity for everyone as he improvises some of Tim’s quirks. A special mention must go to the mysterious Leo for a stellar performance. Fortunately the show is not so theatrically demanding for the average audience member: laughter is all that is expected, and that comes with ease.

Covering twenty-one sketches in just over an hour, the show is highly detailed and quick-fire. The flow between sketches is aided by a measured use of only essential props, which keeps the staging simple and focuses the attention on the action. Changes in body language, various accents, and a few easy costume alterations allow Robb and Knights to present a range of characters without unnecessary hassle. A few early scenes lacked confidence and appeared a little stilted, but this did not detract significantly from the overall experience.

Opening night stage-fright can be a bugger. (Photo credit: Emily Dean)

Whilst the lighting and sound is kept quite minimalist, the backstage team does a great job, and there aren’t any of the timing issues seen in some other productions. This is crucial for some sketches, where the punchline relies on the soundtrack. The well-rehearsed coordination of blackouts for the scene transitions also helps to keep the momentum flowing, and means that a good energy level is maintained on stage.

Robb and Knights amply demonstrate their comedic writing and performing potential once again in Farewell Tim; the scenes are on the whole skilfully written, humorous and well-pitched for the Cambridge audience. Knights in particular has a great stage presence; his facial expressions alone manage to express a wide emotional spectrum, which is essential in this production in which body language and posture is almost more important than the spoken word.

Farewell Tim is a fast-moving and amusing sketch show, covering topics as diverse as Macbeth, Donald Trump and magicians. Despite a few small pauses breaking the rhythm in the early scenes, the show was well structured, the jokes were funny, and the performance was excellent. Worth a trip if you’re passing by.

3.5/5 stars