Review: CB2

PHOEBE JAYES will be heading over to CB2 a LOT during third term

Cambridge cafe cb2 CB2 Cambridge food review lifestyle review music nights Restaurant restaurant review review

CB2, located in CB1 (or, in Cambridge vocabulary, metres away from Primark), is a totally wonderful place.

Whether you want to sneak off there for a study session and some caffeine, have a lovely lunch with a friend, or go to a Funk and Soul night and enjoy a few cocktails, CB2 can make this happen.

An impressive assortment of alcoholic beverages

The café is cosy and eccentric: positioned snugly on the corner of Norfolk Street, it houses a panoply of antique wooden chairs, and the walls which aren’t covered in books to peruse or buy display the work of local artists.

One such wall

Cintia welcomed us in and explained that CB2 is popular both with students and locals, a statement which was verified by the healthy lunchtime bustle. Its cuisine is international: the menu offering steaks, burgers, pastas, cakes, and an assortment of wraps (£6 for a plate including salad and chips). CB2 aims to source its food locally, and its huge variety of sweet treats are procured from a local bakery.

Girl with halloumi ciabatta

The café offers a 10% student discount on everything and also does regular deals on food and drink. It hosts a Jazz Funk and Soul night every last Friday of the month, an Acoustic night every Saturday, and various other events including poetry readings and comedy nights. You can also hire CB2 as a function room for private parties and music.

A current offer

After pouring over the extensive menu, I plumped for a BBQ chicken burger and Sarah went for a halloumi ciabatta. The portions were enormous and great value. I personally very much enjoyed the chips, which were sprinkled with paprika. Everything is also given a generous side salad.

A great way to spend an afternoon

After allowing ourselves an adequate amount of time to digest, we went in for pudding. And we weren’t to be disappointed. The warm chocolate brownie came with a raspberry coulis and some vanilla ice cream. It was all the things I’m looking for in life: squidgy, warm and delicious. Sarah’s Malteser sundae was jam-packed full of Maltesery goodness.

A picture speaks a thousand words

Overall, the trip was a great experience and the friendliness of the staff towards customers and, indeed, one another, came across clearly (Cintia described her staff as “like a family” who often stay behind after closing time to hang out). They all constantly contribute new ideas towards improving their cafe.

I’m definitely going to try out one of their music nights as a sophisticated third year who needs to stop going to Kuda. I’ve also identified the ideal place to take a laptop to and get serious, as this seriousness can be cushioned with some sort of delicious smoothie.

Why go to a library when you can go to CB2?

OPENING TIMES 

Mon-Fri: 10am – ’til late 
Sat: 9.30am – ’til late 
Sun: 10am – 9.30pm 
5/7, Norfolk St, 
Cambridge, CB1 2LD