Caius Master claims drunk freshers left for dead by riotous second years

“You could have killed them”

army caius Cambridge Cambridge University cctb College Drinking master meetings Oxford Scandal scandel Sex societies Student Students Tab the tab throw up Varsity

The Master of Caius college has sensationally accused his own second-year students of “bullying” freshers into drinking. He accused them of endangering the lives of first years by leaving them paralytic on the floor.

In an astonishing email seen by The Tab on Friday afternoon, Professor Sir Alan Fersht launched a blistering attack on Caius second years after footage of their initiation antics were captured on CCTV cameras on Queens’ Backs last Tuesday.

Professor Ferscht ordered guilty students to write letters of apology and hold meetings with senior tutors.

Caius

A still from undercover footage of the Army Pub Crawl.

Over the course of a ground-breaking correspondence, the Caius Master accused students of forming part of a “national scandal” in which they indulged in “laddish behaviour and sadistic initiation writs”.

Fersht claimed the same drinking culture sees women “abused” by young men after being overloaded with alcohol.

The scandal broke on the first Tuesday of full term, when Caius students were caught on camera forcing freshers, “including women”, to drink shots until they vomited. Fersht expressed his fear that they will end up as “unethical pariahs like insider traders, exchange rate riggers and corrupt Volkswagen engineers”.

He pleaded with future second years to bring an end to brutal initiation ceremonies, describing it as “one of the worst crimes in [his] book”, before ordering guilty students to come forward and write letters of apology and hold meeting with senior tutors to discuss their behaviour.

The full email can be read here:

To all students,

There is a national scandal of students drinking irresponsibly, indulging in laddish behaviour and sadistic initiation rights, and men plying women with drink and abusing them. The NUS and many universities are taking action against such behaviour. I was shocked to learn that Caius was at the forefront of those loutish activities. On the first Tuesday of term, in full view of the public and under the closed circuit television cameras on Queens’ Backs, freshers, including women, were pressured by some second year students to drink shots of liquor until they vomited and were then made to drink more as further forfeits, under the masquerade of a “Tour of the Town”.

Incapacitated students were dumped on other students’ floors without any regard to the consequences that there could have been a fatality because of inhalation of vomit. Bullying, and experienced second years using their seniority to coerce first years is bullying, is one of the worst crimes in my book. Such abuse passes down the generations and so must be nipped in the bud. The next generation of second years must not continue this bullying in the guise of an initiation ceremony and must not induce freshers to drink irresponsibly.

It is not only the perpetrators of these acts who are guilty but also the bystanders who are complicit by not preventing them. More than one of our Fellows believe that both the perpetrators and condoners of such bullying will have it long on their consciences. I am more sanguine. I fear that these bullies will leave the College and become unethical pariahs like insider traders, exchange rate riggers and corrupt Volkswagen engineers.

But, those of you were leaders in the events on Tuesday can prove me wrong by writing letters of apology to your victims and by discussing the events with your Tutors. Do not indulge in irresponsible drinking but take advantage of all the academic, social, sporting and cultural activities that make up our unique environment and will shape your future lives. Caius is a great place, make the most of it.

Alan