Sneaky Cambridge Don back behind bars for swindling £230,000

He’d previously been jailed for 12 counts of theft

adam crafton Cambridge University David Barrowclough national Theft wolfson college

Wolfson College has tonight been left shaken as their fellow and Director of Studies David Barrowclough has been jailed for six years after allegedly stealing £230,000 to pay off his mortgage and buy a new car.

In further damaging revelations, a court also heard Wolfson employed Barrowclough despite him being sentenced to four years in prison 18 years ago after confessing to 12 counts of theft.

The prosecutor Luke Blackburn claimed that Wolfson were not aware of his previous custodial sentence, saying “it is very unlikely he would have got any of these positions had they known.”

12041440_10153138383017197_954747573_o

It’s all in the eyes

Barrowclough, 48, was found to have swindled nearly a quarter of a million pounds out of the Heritage Lottery Fund by applying for grants for non-existent archaeological initiatives.

A court heard that he used the cash to fund mortgage payments, premium bonds investment and an Alfa Romeo Mito Hatchback.

His appointment was allegedly due to an employment process that saw Barrowclough handed the job on the basis of a CV and covering letter, rather than a more rigorous one which would highlight an individual’s past convictions.

And the hands

And the hands…

Barrowclough, who has been taking anti-depressants and attempted suicide, has paid back £70,000 to the HLF but still received a six year prison sentence after being found guilty of eight counts of fraud and one count of deception.

The don, whose page on Wolfson College’s website has now been removed, allegedly used false names and forged references to fraudulently seize the cash as grants to fund his projects.

12036665_10153581629018419_4975204729763030088_n

Nothing to see here

The shamed academic received funding for a seven year period between 2006 and 2013, Huntington Law Court heard.

Luke Blackburn, prosecuting said: “What the defendant did was an abuse of his position. He was in a position of trust and responsibility.

“We suggest this was a sophisticated offence for which there was significant planning.”

Judge Peter Murphy added: “It was an abuse of trust involving public funding”, saying he could not “help but feel particularly for [the defendant’s] father. A man with a proud record of a police officer who was before this court as a prosecution witness.”

“You are a man who will stop at nothing almost, in the financial sense, to make some gain for yourself.”

A Wolfson College spokesman said: “Dr Barrowclough was suspended from his duties as soon as the College was made aware of the charges against him, pending the outcome of his trial. Now that a guilty verdict has been reached, the College will be taking appropriate action.”

The Tab is awaiting comment from the University.