Cambridge University want to reintroduce the entrance exam

It was so easy to get in before

admissions Cambridge University entrance exam outreach

Cambridge are set to re-introduce the infamous admissions test, following fears A levels aren’t a good enough way to seek out the best pupils.

The exam will consist of a 45 minute essay, a language aptitude test and a thinking skills assessment.

The entrance exam, scrapped in 1986, have been suggested as a response to changes to the A-level system.

Cambridge claims it is increasingly difficult to choose the brightest students as more and more pupils are receiving top A grades and the government plan to ditch AS levels.

Since 1986, the proportion of state educated students at Cambridge has risen from 50 per cent to 60. The uni wants nearly 70 per cent.

Is there anything he won’t do?

Barbara Sahakian, professor of experimental psychiatry at Cambridge, told the Sunday Times: “There are a lot of students getting very high grades but not all of them would have got those grades in the past, so it is hard to discriminate between students.”

There are concerns an admissions test would unfairly favour those from private and grammar schools and pupils would receive better training than anyone at a state school.

Daddy could buy you nicer pens, too

Sir Richard Evans, president of Wolfson College, suggested older students would also be put “at a severe disadvantage” when applying.

But a University spokesperson said: “The university is considering all options but has made no decisions. We already use admissions tests for some subjects and the option of introducing wider testing is part of discussions about how to adapt to [A-level reforms].

“Whatever decision is taken, all applicants will continue to be assessed holistically.”

Gone are the days when you could just stroll in, show off your double-barrelled surname and leave with a Cambridge degree.