Review: The Francis Bacon Opera

ISA BONACHERA enjoyed this beautiful performance of an unconventional opera.

acting actors ADC francis bacon late show Music musicians Opera performance performing review

The Francis Bacon Opera, Wed 6th -Sat 9th May, ADC, 11pm, £7/6

The Francis Bacon Opera was inspired by the transcript of Melvyn Bragg’s interview with the British artist Francis Bacon. This version, directed by Gareth Mattey, presents the opera as a long conversation between two actors on stage accompanied by a piano. The actors discuss the career and inspirations of Francis Bacon.

musical discussions.

The staging of the opera was simple but elegantly effective. The two actors were discussing the works of art that were projected on stage, and enjoying a glass of wine at Francis Bacon’s studio.

I have never been so entertained in my life while learning about art history, and how artists find beauty and inspiration in almost everything.

simple but effective.

The opera was engaging and quite funny.

The Francis Bacon Opera bucks the trend of other student productions, which are often action packed and fast pace, by offering a relaxing experience. However, the slow pace and simplicity of the performance made it a little dull to watch, and, at times, the performers could have included a little more dramatization.

All three performers were remarkable.

David Rice was playing the piano and he was pure perfection. Both Daniel Lewis and Gary Rushton are incredibly talented singers. The audience was mesmerized by their powerful voices

fantastic performances all round!

.

Rushton also showed his charisma by making the audience  laugh while sustaining impossible notes at the same time.

If you really enjoy art, beautiful music, and don’t mind a slow paced show, then you should definitely see this opera.