Best bogs: Cambridge Spoons tops toilet competition

Cambridge’s Regal Wetherspoons leaves nation in awe at its lavish lavatories.

bogs Cambridge drink loo News toilet wetherspoons

At the frontiers of innovation, Cambridge is well known for its pioneering culture.

It is therefore no surprise that the Regal Wetherspoons, an institution bursting with the Cambridge’s best and brightest, has been recognised as an example the rest of the nation should follow in the Loo of the Year Awards.

Aiming to highlight standards of toilet provision in the UK, the Awards are hotly anticipated by many.

Sarah Hemingway, manager of The Regal, who told Cambridge News: “Staff at the pub work hard to ensure the toilets are in a first-class condition at all times and it is great that this has been recognised by the inspectors.”

She cited this as one of the possible reasons for what the inspectors dubbed its “exceptional” Art Deco toilets, installed during the Regal’s refurbishment two years ago.

Not one of Cambridge’s finer establishments

However, she did not think the toilets were a major draw.

One Pembroke fresher disagreed. “It’s all about the toilets. I’m so glad Spoons has won this award; now I’ll happily pray to the porcelain god in there.”

Is this a ploy on the part of the notorious Wetherspoons to get you to drink more? Are the Loo of the Year Awards indirectly encouraging Britain’s binging problem? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.