Cantab throws up as Varshity ski site goes down

Booking for the annual Varsity ski trip collapsed yesterday – with surprising results

skiing Varsity

Ticket sales for the annual Varsity ski trip collapsed yesterday when the website crashed.

Booking started at 8am but an unprecedented number of wannabe skiers meant admins had to freeze the website until 6pm.

Tilly Johnston, a Medwards newbie, spewed everywhere because she was so stressed about the break down.

She told The Tab: “I had two laptops in front of me at the same time and it got too much.”

Booking – too much to handle

Luckily, Tilly has now secured a place on the £333 trip.

Some students’ payments went through. For others, it was a rollercoaster of emotion as they were not sure if payment had been processed.

The Varsity trip has written a message on their website saying they “sincerely apologise”.

The excursion, running since 1922, sees over 3000 students from here and the Other Place shelling out hundreds for a few days of freezing booze-infused conditions.

Entertainment in previous years has included shows from Chase and Status and Calvin Harris, so the high demand is probably understandable.

It is not without its dangers, though: electrocutions, coach crashes and bottle-smashing crazies plagued last year’s trip.

Not all it seems…

“Irresponsible” behaviour on the 2010 trip – including a student breaking an egg with his bum and others urinating in the snow before consuming it – made national headlines, causing a company which sponsored the trip to withdraw.

Good luck to everyone on this year’s trip and try not to make the DM…