What’s On Week 3

Stave off the January blues with this week’s dazzling cultural happenings.

1984 Cambridge culture events Music week 3 what's on

THEATRE

1984, ADC, 7.45pm, Tues 4th-Sat 8th Feb, £10/8

Orwell’s classic story brought to life on the ADC stage. Big Brother is watching you.

Children’s Hour, Pembroke New Cellars, 7pm, Tues 4th – Sat 8th Feb, £5

Previously on the West End starring Keira Knightley and Elizabeth Moss, a tale of deceit, intrigue and lesbianism at an all-girls boarding school.

Split, ADC, 11pm, Wed 5th and Friday 7th Feb, £5/6

A one-chair-show, ably supported by a single man who is not Colin Firth.

MUSIC

ArcSoc “Y2K Bug Out” – 4th Feb, Ballare

In the lead up to the infamous ArcSoc Caberet, expect a flash buck to turn of the millennia as ArcSoc try to retake back Cindies.

“London Grammar” – Corn Exchange, 1st Febraury @ 7pm

London Grammar have gained immeasurable praise for bursting onto the music scene in 2013. The British trip hop trio seem set to continue moving on up, and that this tour is just the beginning.

FILM

Pulp Fiction (Saturday 1st February, 7pm & 10pm, Christ’s Films)

If you’re one of the few people in the world who hasn’t seen Quentin Tarantino’s classic 90s’ film, go along to Christ’s College and join the crowd of inevitably enthusiastic fans for your long-overdue viewing of the film.

Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learnt to Stop Worrying & Love the Bomb (Sunday 2nd February, 1pm, Arts Picturehouse)

Many English Part II students are this term starting their Visual Culture paper, the exam for which includes compulsory questions on the films of Stanley Kubrick. If you’re one of these students, going to this screening counts as revision. If you’ve lived your life oblivious to this Peter Sellers classic, go educate yourself.

Blue Jasmine (Sunday 2nd February, 7pm & 10pm, St. John’s Picturehouse)

Woody Allen’s ‘A Streetcar Named Desire’ redux has garnered three Oscar nominations this year, most notably for Cate Blanchett. It’s also notable for not quite being your typical Allen film as well as only costing £3.50 to see it at John’s.

OTHER CULTURAL HAPPENINGS

Sarah Millican – Home Bird, Thurs 6th Feb, Corn Exchange

Winner of the ‘Best Newcomer’ award at the 2008 Fringe, this home-grown comedienne will charm you with her self-deprecating humour.

Women in Academia: Panel Discussion, , 6pm, Thurs 30th Jan, ADC

In light of the sell-out show Blue Stockings, listen to playwright Jessica Swale discuss what it means to be a woman in academia in the 21st-century.