A New Junction

Your tunesmith-in-residence MATT TEALE is back. This time he wants you to consider a trip to the Junction.

Cambridge cambridge junction drum and bass EZ Music night lfie shogun assasins shogyun Thomas Green thomas green rockwell vol 2

In terms of the profile of the artists that graced Cambridge with their melodies last year (with some notable exceptions), many were left disappointed. 

It has become cliché to say Cambridge nightlife leaves much to be desired, though this didn’t stop people applauding the criticism in an attempt to distance themselves from  vulgar musical tastes. While we may look with envious eyes at those at Leeds, Bristol, and London etc. these complaining voices waver into obscurity in the face of the talent provided by Michaelmas and promised for Lent term. Huge credit goes to Turf nights which set the tone with guest appearances from Kode 9, Loefah, Eton Messy and Paul Woolford (had he only turned up).  Compliment performances by resident DJs, Fez has done much to buck the trend.

The progress looks set to continue as we turn to the Boomslang event on the 1st of February held at the Junction, a venue which attracts some of the most prominent artists across the country, featuring DJ EZ, Rockwell, Duke Dumont and Toddla T. A line up to get excited about, here’s why:

EZ is known to astound people with his mastery within the mix, stunning fans with his recent boiler room performance, which has been much praised by garage house and 2 step fans. He is quite simply one of best contemporary DJs. Endless variety is injected with effortless precision.

Utilising Disclosure tunes for fledgling house fans, bass heavy anthems for raving types, he always reverts back to old school garage hits for long standing fans. His range is eclectic but he models his set so that listeners always leave knowing that his soul remains an impregnable fortress of garage rhythms. EZ served his DJ dues during the 90s performing for pirate radio stations, though his talent did not go unnoticed as he steadily became the name on the tongue of every garage enthusiast. High expectations of a man who never disappoints.

Just mix it EZ my son

Thomas Green (Rockwell) signed to Friction’s Shogun Audio label which has been a mainstay for the drum and bass community. He has quickly become a highly respected and influential DJ. Particularly well-known for his assiduousness in music production and obsession with detail (Rockwell confessed to spending 3 days on one bar of his track!).

A multidimensional artist who doesn’t refrain from delving into hip hop or trap tracks to compliment his mixes, Rockwell is a must if you want to take advantage of the musical diversity of the night. Accompanied by MC DRS who has established himself as lyricist to watch on the circuit, picking up Best MC in 2013 at the DnB Arena Awards, fans will recognise his vocals from his collaborations with Enei on “Obsession” and “Count to Ten”.

Inna mix and blend… and chop!

So head towards the train station but skip the service to London (usually required for artists of this calibre) and venture into the Junction  to receive the sounds that assure nightlife at the Cam is on the up.

So what do you think? If you’ve never gone to Junction, why not? We’d super love to know.