What’s On Week 1

Term is here and with it comes a whole host of events to welcome you back to Cambridge – here’s the Culture Team’s pick of the best.

arts festival january Theatre vintage fair week one what's on

what's on

THEATRE

Terminus, Corpus Playroom, 9.30pm, Tues 21st – Sat 25th, £6/5

Three people ripped from their daily lives and catapulted into a world of singling serial killers, avenging angles, and lovesick demons. Told in rhyming monologues, this sounds too surreal to miss.

Fantasy, ADC, 7.45pm, Tues 21st-Sat 25th, £10/8 (Tues £8/6)

Cambridge University Dance Society combine dreams and reality in this dance show which promises us a range of styles – ‘traditional, exotic or just plain exciting’. Certainly something a little different.

Welcome Break, ADC, 11pm, Wed 22nd – Sat 25th, £6/5

‘Ok, finish your nuggets, I’ll get this blood off my hands, then it’s hometime.’ Footlights favourites Ben Pope and Alex MacKeith find comedy in the unlikeliest of places – a service station.

MUSIC 

CREEM presents MedSoc Ball Launch – Carnival, Sunday 19th, 10pm, Fez

Get excited about the Carnival-themed MedSoc ball this Sunday at Fez.

August and After –  Sunday 19th,  Time/Price/Location TBC

Cambridge’s own August and After, fresh from their residency at the famous jazz club, Ronnie Scotts, are performing their latest secret show at a yet to be revealed location.

FILM

American Hustle – Arts Picturehouse (times vary)

This week you should fill your film schedule with Oscar bait. Ease yourself in with this film, a witty, intelligent and – most importantly – enjoyable ensemble piece from David O. Russell. If you’re a fan of good fashion, don’t see this film.

The Wolf of Wall Street – Arts Picturehouse (times vary)

Marty Scorsese is back with Leo DiCaprio again in this ‘cautionary’ tale of Wall Street excess that is dividing critics. (Is it glamorising crime? Is it good? etc.) Features a soon-to-be iconic scene that involves Leo putting a questionable item up a questionable place.

12 Years a Slave – Arts Picturehouse (times vary)

End your week of watching back-to-back critical darlings with 12 Years a Slave; the heaviest of the three films listed here – it’s brutal throughout – but you should see it if only to not be left out of being able to add your praise to that of your peers.

OTHER CULTURAL HAPPENINGS 

Judy’s Affordable Vintage Fair – Guild Hall, 10.30-4.30pm, Sat 18th,  £2

‘Rail upon rail of vintage clothes, accessories and gift idea’s all at prices that won’t break the bank!’ Elle, Vogue and Marie Claire can’t be wrong.

Union Arts Festival – Cambridge Union, 2pm onwards, Sat 18th, free entry

A whole day of non-stop culture across 3 stages, topped off by a launch party in the newly refurbished 1815 Bar. With so much variety there will definitely be something for everyone.