Cheer on your Cambridge Teams!

£1500 are at stake for Cambridge’s varsity Cheerleading squad, the Cambridge Cougars, and Engineers Without Borders, a humanitarian organisation, help them win it!

Cambridge Cougars Cambridge Hub cheerleading CUSU Engineering Engineering without Borders gdbo Instant Impact light blues Oxford Societies' Fair student societies

Two Cambridge societies are battling it out in a competition run by graduate recruitment agency Instant Impact. Cambridge’s cheerleading team, the Cambridge Cougars, and Engineers Without Borders, a student-run charity, are both in the running for much needed sponsorship money.

The competition, which closes at midnight on Thursday, has student societies around the UK vying for up to £1500 worth of sponsorship from Instant Impact. The prize is awarded based on the number of ‘likes’ that each entry receives on Instant Impact’s Facebook page.

The Cambridge Cougars showed The Tab earlier this year that cheerleading isn’t as easy as it might appear. They have over 700 likes and counting in the competition, being narrowly edged into second place by Warwick’s American Football team.

[iframe width=”480″ height=”360″ src=”//www.youtube.com/embed/a1y3G6Vrx2g” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen][/iframe]

Engineers Without Borders, meanwhile, aren’t doing too shabby themselves, with 170+ votes. Their video has a very cool sequence where what looks like really murky Cam water is made drinkable after being filtered.

You can see their video here.

The Cambridge Cougars currently receive no financial support from CUSU, who refuse to recognise cheerleading as a sport despite the team’s recent triumph over Oxford this March. Speaking to The Tab, Cougars captain Amy Forsythe described how much the support of Tab readers would mean to the cheerleading squad.

Who could say no to these cheery cougars?

“We were the only cheerleading team selected out of all the entries. Our sport is really underfunded and we would really appreciate it if you could take the time to vote for us. It only takes two clicks to register your likes!”

GDBO: Cougars celebrating their Varsity win

Stephanie Brown, president of Engineers without Borders, told The Tab how the non profit society would put any money received to good use.

The Tab don’t know what this contraption is, but it sure looks interesting.

“We’d use the money to cover a training program we’re running in 3 weeks to teach society members how to sanitise water. As a charity aiming to tackle poverty with technology, we run international student led projects in places like Cameroon. And we’re not just for engineers– we have events throughout the term involving talks, training, outreach and international development.”

Want to engineer success or help the Cougars claw to victory? Show some Cantab love and vote for the societies mentioned by getting onto Facebook and liking the entries. The competition closes at midnight on the 31st. The entry for the Cambridge Cougars is here while Engineers Without Borders can be found here