Dalai Lama To Visit Cambridge

The Dalai Lama will continue his tradition of visiting Cambridge every twenty years with a trip to the university next weekend.

buddhism Dalai Lama global scholars symposium nobel peace price pacifism twitter will heilpern

The 14th Dalai Lama, Tenzin Gyatso, is set to speak at St John’s College and The Cambridge Union on Friday the 19th and Saturday the 20th of April respectively.

This continues the Dalai Lama’s tradition of visiting Cambridge every twenty years, with his last two visits being in 1993 and 1973.

Return of the King: the Dalai Lama comes to Cambridge next weekend

The Dalai Lama will talk at the Union on ‘Non-violence for Conflict Resolution’. This will be part of the Global Scholars Symposium, which enables “current world leaders to interact with young academics who are striving to meet the great challenges of global society.”

The talks will be held by the Global Scholars Symposium

It’ll be a unique opportunity for students to converse with the Nobel Peace Prize winning Tibetan Buddhist. It marks a definite step-up in quality from those who spoke at the Union last term, which controversially catered for fascist leader Marine Le Pen, as well as memorably hosting Katie Price and Pamela Anderson in the very same week.

Brianne Kent, a co-ordinator of the event, revealed that “His Holiness hopes to speak to as many students as possible. What made our invitation appealing to His Holiness was that it was directly from students.”

Presumably, The Dalai Lama expects more from students than from Australian interviewers.

The present Dalai Lama was found by Tibetan monks at the tender age of 2, at which point he underwent tests to discover whether or not he was the reincarnation of the 13th Dalai Lama. Long ears and correctly placed moles were evidence enough for the Monks to recognise the young boy as the genuine reincarnation.

He has since gone on to win global respect and adoration for his work for Pacifism and Environmental Issues, winning the Nobel Peace Prize in 1989.

Unfortunately, given that tickets for all the events have now sold out, keen Cantabs without entry will have to try and grab a glimpse of the Dalai Lama as he travels around the city.

The Dalai Lama currently has nearly 7 million followers on Twitter, but is following no one. If you think you can be the Dalai Lama’s number one, you can tweet him socially aggressively here.

Fancy writing for the News team? Get in touch.