Putdown by touchdown: Cambridge dominate ARU Rhinos

JAASON GEERTS watches Cambridge Pythons thrash ARU Rhinos in their first home win since 1997.

| UPDATED American Football aru jaason geerts pythons Sport

The Pythons went into the game 2–1 after a hard-fought win over Essex, while ARU had not yet been tested this season. The Pythons also benefitted from the appearance of several new players, who proved to make a major difference on both sides of the ball.

Pre-match, the boys were feeling high and mighty!

After a fierce return on the opening kickoff by Nate Brakeley, slotback Brendan Baker dashed into the end zone with his first touch as a Python. An errant snap was fielded by Nick Roope who found Jack Taverner in the end zone to put the Pythons 8–0 up.

Strong defence by the Cambridge side gave the ball back to the Python offence, who quickly orchestrated another touchdown thanks to Baker’s 24-yard rush. A successful extra point brought the Pythons to 15–0. The iron curtain Cambridge defensive line thwarted the Rhino attack and caused a string of fumbles; an outstanding punt return by Nick Roope allowed quarterback Joe Yarwood to take over deep in enemy territory.  Yarwood fired a quick pass to Baker for his third score of the quarter. Roope threw another two point conversion, this time to Sebastian Funk, and the Pythons took an impressive 23–0 lead.

Cambridge dominated the game from the outset

In the second quarter, the Rhinos defense toughened up despite a series of injuries and held the Pythons to one touchdown scored by Nick Roope to leave the score at halftime Cambridge 30-0 ARU.

The third quarter followed much in the same way as the second, with more injuries to ARU but solid defence on both sides. Jack Taverner scored the Pythons’ first field goal since the club was reformed two years ago. The first ever Pythons field goal was kicked by Keith Gordon, the current president of marketing for the NFL Players Association.

ARU’s defence were asked some searching questions

The Cambridge defence continued to punish ARU in the fourth quarter, led by Ed Cozens, who managed to tackle the quarterback and running back at the same time – and injure them both. One more field goal finished off the scoring as Cambridge went on to win 40–0 to record their first shutout since the team reformed, and the first home win since 1997.

MVP’s for Cambridge were Brendan Baker on offence with three touchdowns on the day and Nate Brakeley on defence with 2.5 sacks and many tackles.

Despite how physical the game was, both teams showed their class, as evidenced in the post-game camaraderie on the field and at the Super Bowl party at the Cambridge Union afterward.

The boys were thrilled with the result, which saw their first outright win since 1997

The Pythons’ next game is Sunday, February 10th against the Canterbury Chargers at home. Kickoff is 1pm.

For full event details click HERE.

To keep up with the team’s progress visit their official Facebook page.