168 ‘Sugar Babies’ At Cambridge

More students at Cambridge have signed up to a ‘sugar daddy’ dating site than at any other UK university.

| UPDATED Cambridge University money Prostitution SeekingArrangement.com Sex sugar babby sugar daddies tuition fees

Cambridge students are allegedly flocking to a ‘sugar daddy’ dating website.

A recent poll by a dating website has supposedly shown that more Cambridge students are involved in ‘sugar daddy dating’ than at any other British University.

According to SeekingArrangement.com, a US website which joins up attractive young women with rich, generally older men, 168 Cambridge students are signed up. These ‘sugar daddies’ earn over £170,000 and provide their ‘babies’ with high-flying dates and even cash allowances.

In May 2012, a similar SeekingArrangement.com survey found that 42 Cambridge students were signed up, ranking fourth in Britain.

The recent hike in tuition costs to as much as £9,000 a year is said to be the cause of this dramatic upsurge. Students were eligible to pay these high fees for the first time last year. 2012 also saw a 58% increase in student membership.

SeekingArrangement.com’s marketing strategy takes this well into account. It states that on average, students can receive £5,000 a month from their ‘daddies’ – not exactly pocket money. The site also gives ‘babies’ premium membership free of charge if they sign up with a university email address.

Though the site denies that it is a vehicle for prostitution, a site survey carried out last year found that 80% of ‘sugar’ relationships were sexual. SeekingArrangement.com founder and CEO, Brandon Wade, writes on the website that, “Because the relationship between a sugar daddy and a sugar baby is romantic in nature, most sugar relationships will likely involve ‘sex’”.

He adds of the rise in student membership that, “College should be an opportunity to expand the mind and experience new things.” But “because of the recent tuition hikes, the college experience has become greatly unbalanced.”

Cambridge’s rise up the table reveals the drastic measures students might be forced to take to deal with today’s financial burdens.