Cambridge Are King Of The Slopes

VARSITY SKIING: FRANCES BRILL reports on a good week in the Alps as the skiers show the rugby boys how its done.

Cambridge ski and snowboard club Catherine Pelton Frances Brill Jamie Reid Jamie Salter Josh Brookes JP Espinosa Kirsty Dixon Mike Pelton Oxford Pete Calvert Sarah Hughes val thorens varsity skiing varsity trip

This year’s Varsity skiing saw Cambridge swoop in and dominate the slopes. It was double delight for both the men’s and women’s Blues teams as they secured victory over the Old Enemy in the Alps.

JP Espinosa and Sarah Hughes were the stand out performers for the Light Blues, each taking home individual crowns.

The Light Blues’ star freshers – JP and Mike Pelton – who have both represented GB, ensured that Oxford were quivering in their catsuits before the flood-lights were even lit. With performances in both the GS and Slalom that showed their expertise, they were set for victory.

Reigning Varsity champion Pete Calvert, who unfortunately lost his title, joined them alongside ex race captain Ed Gardner, fourth year Rob Sills and last year’s star fresher Henry Delacave. The strong six battled through the dodgy snow conditions in their fetching Cambridge Blue catsuits and secured a well deserved win.

The women glide to victory

Cambridge sent a very competitive women’s blues team. The battle was on before the final team was even selected, meaning that the Light Blues were confident they would win. Incredible performances from second year Sarah Hughes saw her ranked eighth against the men overall, whilst Catherine Pelton – previous GS champion – achieved predictably great times. With good times from the remaining members (Sam Davies, Frances Brill, Jos Trayler-Clarke and Larissa Normanton), the team obliterated Oxford.

Whilst the seconds teams both lost to their Oxford contemporaries, the men’s thirds – featuring ex blues Jamie Salter and old freestyle captain Josh Brookes – showed flair and skill, securing a safe victory for them.

Champagne on ice

The Varsity match this year saw strong competition between old rivals. Oxford put up strong teams, featuring ex GB Jamie Reid and female captain Kirsty Dixon, but the week was ultimately Cambridge’s, and so was the champagne.