Handshake Shakeup for Interviews

Admissions Tutors have been sent a guidance video advising them on how to judge whether to handshake an interviewee.

academics access admissions awkward becky henshaw Cambridge disabled greeting hand shake handshake interview Muslim pc gone mad shake hands

Dons have been sent a bonkers online training video advising them on the pitfalls of handshakes during interviews.

The video warned academics that hand shaking is ‘culturally sensitive’ to some Muslim women and people with certain disabilities, and told them to be wary of going in for a squeeze at interviews.

A spokesperson said “dons should read the situation properly and bear in mind that not all people will want to shake hands.”

Tutors are confused by the instructions, and some have expressed anger. One argued it treats interviewers like ‘social misfits’ and said whole exercise was: “stupid and pointless, and could make interviews even more awkward.”

Bricking it, but at least she knows what greeting to expect.

As well as upsetting admissions tutors and interviewers, the instructions could cause even greater awkwardness and anxiety for nervous students going for their interviews, who will have another thing to worry about.

Third year Newnhamite Aimee Price told The Tab: “It’s pretty unsurprising. It’s basically the University making sure it’s politically correct.”

Newnham student Anastasia Bogatyreva said: “I think this is ridiculous. I’m sure the SAQ form could accommodate this in interview preferences. Interviewers should do what’s natural: give us a hand, actually and metaphorically.”

But perhaps action does need to be taken against some rogue handshakes. Homerton third year and Uni Challenge icon Jack Euesden remembers an awkward handshake during his interview, saying: “One of my interviewers wasn’t in his office when I got there. I heard the loo flush and he greeted me with a damp hand. Not cool.”