PWC Division 1 Round Up- Week 2

FOOTBALL: Homerton go top as Trinity drop late points

caius Christ's Emma College Football Cambridge downing Fitz Homerton jesus PWC Division One Selwyn Tit Hall Trinity

Fitz 2-2 Trinity

With captain, Matt Cole, leaving the pitch with a dislocated shoulder Trinity dropped their first league points since Match Day 4 last year, conceding a scrappy late equaliser to a robust Fitz side.

The first 30 minutes held chances for both teams but poor finishing meant neither ‘keeper had to make any spectacular saves. Well worked passing down the left wing between Dany Gammall and Martin Lesourd then left Gammall with the space to swing in a cross onto the head of fresher, Chris Scott to score his first goal for Trinity.

However, shortly before half-time Fitz got a slice of luck, curling a corner straight into the back of the net, leaving them on level terms at the break.

Both sides struggled to impose themselves at the start of the second half, Trinity not helped by Cole’s departure, but eventually Gammall sprang the offside trap and rounded the ‘keeper only to be brought down. He promptly stepped up to the spot to slam in his 49th Trinity goal.

However, Trinity were unable to hang on and nervy defending let them down in a frantic finish, giving hope to the chasing pack.

Christ’s 3-1 Emma 

Christ’s dominated from start to finish and were rewarded with a comprehensive victory. A scrappy opening 15 minutes, where both teams’ midfields battled to establish dominance, ended with an excellent finish by the ever reliable Stephen Harrison for Christ’s from a tight angle, following a fine through ball from Morgan.

Christ’s did not look back, controlling the rest of the game. Taking a well deserved 2-0 lead straight after the restart, as a result of a mazy run from May which ultimately led to a scrappy goal. A penalty to Emma allowed them back into the game but any hope they had of salvaging something was lost shortly after when Harrison finished a beautifully constructed team move with a header across goal.

How the table stands

Selwyn 4-2 Caius

After a disappointing result on the opening weekend, Selwyn were determined to bounce back and prove their worth after their return to the top division. They managed to do just that this Sunday against tough Caius opposition.

Selwyn dominated the first half in windy conditions, with Dave Hawes and Sam Gregson winning near enough every ball in the midfield. Unlike last week, the link up play with Will Vernon and Fred Wilson-Haffenden on the wings was effective, and a series of cutting through balls exposed Caius’ weaker full backs. Patience was beginning to run thin as they failed to capitalise on a number of clear chances, but this sense of frustration was quelled minutes from half time as Chris Hutton nodded in a pin point free kick delivery from Gregson.

A shaky start to the second half resulted in a spell of pressure from the Caius forwards. Though the back four did appear less assertive during this period, they just about held firm. However, Donal failed to grasp a speculative effort from around 20 yards, and the ball scraped over the line in unceremonious fashion for a merited equaliser.

The response from Selwyn at this stage could not have been better. The goal served as little more than a wakeup call, as their midfielders re-seized the initiative and strung together a few crisp passing manoeuvres that ultimately enabled Hutton to run clear through into the Caius penalty area and slot the ball into the near corner for his second.

The lead was doubled just minutes later when a long throw from Gregson bounced awkwardly on its way into the six yard box, where the goalkeeper tamely (and somewhat confusingly) flapped and helped it on its way in.

Hutton then got himself into another good position on the edge of the area where he showed great strength to beat Caius’ last man before rifling the ball home into the top left corner, completing his hat trick and putting the 3 points beyond doubt.

With 3 minutes left to play, Caius took advantage of a miscommunication between ‘keeper and defence to grab a late consolation, slightly taking the lustre off what had been a fine Selwyn performance.

Jesus 0-1 Homerton

A dour defeat at the hands of Homerton leaves Jesus anchored to the foot of the table yet to score and with 5 in the Against column.

Slack defending allowed Homerton the lead in an opening 45 which neither side seemed able to take of. However, Jesus came out rejuvenated in the second period, looking to redress the deficit. Alex Azizi came closest, striking the woodwork but Homerton held firm to make it two wins in two games.

Downing vs Tit Hall

Match abandoned.

This encounter had to be cut short with the scores at 0-0 and thirty minutes remaining after nasty injuries to Downing’s ‘keeper and striker, Alex Matthews and Max Burley (the former having made what his captain described as the “save of his life” unfortunately wiped from his memory by concussion). The tams are in discussion with the League about replaying the fixture and The Tab  wishes both players a speedy recovery.