Cambridge Companion To: Doxbridge

What is Doxbridge? The annual four day inter collegiate sports competition, of course. Book now for booze and ball sports in Dublin.

Cambridge doxbridge Oxford

READ Parts 1, 2 and 3 of Editor Oscar Williams-Grut and ex-Sports Editor Henry Charrington’s blog from Doxbridge 2011. 

Every Easter Holiday hundreds of students from Cambridge, Oxford and Durham descend upon Dublin, one of Europe’s most vibrant cities, for a four day trip rammed with sport, nightlife and festival fun. Why? The annual Doxbridge tour.

What is Doxbridge?

Doxbridge is the UK’s most famous inter-collegiate sporting competition. Now in its 13th year, it has traditionally offered a unique opportunity for students from Cambridge, Oxford, Durham (and now York as well), to take each other on at a range of college sports including Football, Rugby, Hockey, Netball and Lacrosse at some of the finest facilities in Dublin.

It’s a fabulous mix of rivalry, banter, humour, parties, fancy dress and some of the very best student nightlife in Dublin. In short, whether you intend to take it seriously (or not) it’s the best possible teambuilding and bonding for your college teams – and the perfect way to end the season together.

Optional excursions, such as a trip to the Guinness Storehouse, are also available to supporters or those in search of day-time diversion.

On the field (or court):

Christ’s team talk last year

Competitive-ish tournaments are organised in a range of sports categories for Men’s, Women’s and Mixed teams. Depressingly for the tabs, most tournament champions are from the Durham and Oxford colleges.

Back in March it was Vanbrugh College, York who took home the spoils in Men’s Football, while Durham colleges won the Women’s Football, Lacrosse and Rugby competitions. New College, Oxford won the netball. John Snow College Durham claimed the most important trophy as ‘Social Champions’! Perhaps it’s time for Cambridge to step up?

Let’s get this party started:

Staying in the very heart of the city, Dublin’s famous nightlife is right here on your doorstep! Get each evening started off in your hostel dorms before hitting the city in fancy dress. The pubs and clubs of the city are absolutely legendary and there are simply hundreds of watering holes to choose from. Better still, Doxbridge participants enjoy free entry on all 3 nights to the exclusive festival parties at some of the very best venues in town!

Christ’s treated Durham to a yard of beer on last year’s trip

With great deals on drinks as well, you can enjoy all the Irish craic at fantastic value for money. Culminating in a trophy presentation ceremony, as well as the crowning of the sports tournament champions, there’s also the coveted Doxbridge Social Award to strive for.

Who can attend and how do we go about signing up?

The Doxbridge trip is open to all college teams, spectators and groups of friends. You can sign up as a College via your Sports Officer or JCR President or simply register your group online as a Team Captain, Social Secretary or Party Leader. Once you’ve signed up initially on the website, anyone you invite can then join your group as well. If you’re keen to get on board and could help spread the word in your college, there’s free stash available as well.

Just £179 per person for the coach tour package from Cambridge. Subject to your numbers touring, group leaders can travel free of charge and even enjoy a free VIP reception too.

For more details and to see the video, visit www.doxbridge.co.uk or call 01279 661700 now. 

Key dates for the diary:

NOW: Get in touch or simply register online

25th November: FREE t-shirts for all early bookings

9th December: Individual deposits of £60 due

27th January: Final balances due

19th March: Tour begins