Global Superstardom For Cam Potwasher

A former potwasher at a local restaurant has got her biggest break yet after being picked to appear alongside will.i.am and other big names on a brand new American talent show.

ayi jihu cambridge madonna Cambridge University r&b the big stage the ugly duckling will.i.am

A Cambridge local has gone from kitchen-staff to super-star, moving up in the world from working in a Chinese restaurant to judging a big American talent show.

Ayi Jihu started her career washing dishes for £4 an hour in The Ugly Duckling restaurant on St John’s Street, but was catapulted to internet fame in China when her risqué R&B videos went viral.

In less than three years, Jihu became China’s most successful R&B artist ever, selling over 100 million records and earning the nickname “The Chinese Madonna”.

httpvh://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz-UxMp4Liw&feature=player_embedded

Jihu’s massive success has now landed her a job judging The Big Stage, an X-Factor style talent contest, alongside a panel of big names including Will.i.am, Kid Rock and Tommy Lee Jones. With a $3 million prize, The Big Stage is set to be a big deal on American TV.

As well as rivalling well established shows like American Idol, a shows spokesperson also claimed it would target Americas social problems, saying: “We will especially target at risk youths, empowering them by building communication and disciplinary skills, allowing for a steady decrease in gang related violence, crime and school drop outs.”

The Chinese government are not impressed with Jihu’s provocative posing. Everyone else seems to be.

But not everyone is so impressed with Jihu’s work. She has come under heavy fire from the hard-nosed prudish Chinese government, who have apparently not taken to her steamy dance moves or poses.

In spite of her success, Jihu has not forgotten her roots here in Cambridge. She returned to The Ugly Duckling last year to present her gold disk award to her parents, who also own the restaurant she once worked in.