UPDATE: Murder On The Cam?

Two teenagers have been arrested in connection with the body found in the Cam last week, the identity of which Police have released.

Cambridge murder police Queen's College river cam st johns

UPDATE:

Two teenager have been arrested in connection with the body discovered last week.

A 17-year old and an 18-year old have both been arrested in connection with the body, discovered near Jesus Green.

Police have also named the dead man as 53-year old homeless man Raymond Boyle.

———————————————————————–

The dead body of a man in his 50s was found floating in the Cam at 2am yesterday morning, while May balls were going on around the town.

The discovery was made at Jesus Green by a member of the public just hours after the John’s May Ball fireworks. Students at John’s and Queens’ had been in punts in the river last night to watch the fireworks.

The male was found floating face-down between Queens’ and John’s. He was pronounced dead after efforts made by paramedics to resuscitate him.

The police are treating the man’s death as “suspicious” in light of the facial injuries contracted and its position in the river. A spokesperson for the Cambridgeshire Constabulary made the following statement in light of the find:

We are continuing to investigate the death of a man found in the River Cam, which we are now treating as suspicious. The man had facial injuries, however detectives are keeping an open mind as to how he received them. We’re trying to discover how the man sustained the injuries and how he got to be in the river.”

The body was due to undergo a post-mortem examination at Addenbrooke’s Hospital at 4pm on Wednesday to search for more clues.

Party-goers at the balls last night were horrified by the news. Girtonite Victoria Lee, who went to Queens’ ball, told The Tab: “It is shocking that something like this should happen. It really puts a dampener on what was otherwise an incredible night”.

The body remains unidentified, and the police are urging anyone who was in the area between midnight and 2am to come forward with any information.