Preview: The Matchbox Project

The Tab gives you a sneak preview of some of the matchboxes that will be on display at The Cambridge Matchbox Project at The Shop this week.

art exhibition olly rees the cambridge matchbox project The Shop

Just over a month ago, Cambridge student Olly Rees bought 40 blank matchboxes and sent them to students and Fellows in Cambridge to design and fill. His idea was simple: to allow Cambridge students to showcase their creativity in a miniature way, and display the finished products. And so, The Cambridge Matchbox Project was born.

The Tab spoke to Olly about his inspiration, and managed to get a sneak preview of some of the finished pieces.

The inspiration behind the project

Olly started the project in the midst of revision, with the intention of allowing students to showcase their creativity.

He explained: “Although we maybe don’t have time to produce huge artworks, this doesn’t mean that Cambridge students aren’t creative; as shown by the incredible diversity and ingenuity employed by all of the matchboxes.

“My girlfriend told me I’m like one of those art teachers at school who tries to encourage people to do small bits of ‘art’ – but I really hope it doesn’t come across like that!”

Student reactions

“The people who have seen the matchboxes so far have been really impressed. Some of them are so intricate, and look like they’ve taken a LOT of time to complete. What’s more, some of the ideas are just so clever.”

Olly’s favourites

“I think my favourite has to be the matchbox church, or the cut out of the Eiffel Tower. But then again, I study Psychology, and so I also appreciate the “this is a social experiment: take or give” matchbox with 17p inside it!

“The response to the project has been great, and some of the care and effort that has been put into the tiny boxes is amazing.”

The Opening

The Matchbox Project will be on display in the window of The Shop between 6th-12th June. It is raising money for Nikat, and Campus Holidays. For more information about the charities and the project, click HERE.