Theatre Guide Dog: Week 2

THE THEATRE GUIDE DOG knows what you’re up to. But he’ll play along, for now. Loyal, right?

ADC theatre All My Sons Avenue Q baby Broadway Cambridge Arts Theatre Corpus Playroom Helvetica Hipster Hitler Marilyn Monroe MORE Sexual Perversity in Chicago

That’s right, just keep going to plays and pretend that you don’t have exams soon. I know your game. It’s fine, really. Come here, let me show you all the different carefully-crafted lies you can buy yourself.

Avenue Q 9th-14th May

I resent the fact that this musical contains a song entitled ‘What Do You Do With a BA in English?’, but only because it has a whiff of truth about it. You’ve probably had someone inane link you inanely to a song from this musical at some point, so will know it’s basically kids’ TV with the sexual undertones made into sexual overtones. Enjoy.

Arts Theatre at 7.45 £15-35

MORE 10th May

New writing that, unusually, I’m not rampantly suspicious of. Taking design cues from the elegant simplicity of Helvetica, MORE sinks its gnashy little teeth into life during and after The University©. Here are some videos of faces to get you interested.

Corpus at 9.30  £5-6

All My Sons 10th-14th May

A play about a(nother) failure of the American dream, by one of the few men who actually achieved it (the bit that involves laying Marilyn Monroe anyway). Hysterical Republicans in the ’50s didn’t like it, but I don’t think they have much in common with the typical ADC-goer, so you should be alright.

ADC at 7.45  £6-10

Broadway, Baby! 10th May

Like this, but with less whimsy and this week instead of last week. And only once. If you like musicals but don’t like narratives or characters this should be ideal.

ADC at 11  £5-6

Sexual Perversity in Chicago 11th-14th May

Any attractions the text offers are overwhelmed by the first three letters of the title and fact that there is a shapely bum on the poster. Feel free to tell people you’re seeing it to revel in the quaint characterisation of mid-70s Americans and laugh at 40-year-old jokes. They won’t believe you.

ADC at 11  £4-6