Lee Madgwick @ Byard Art

TABATHA LEGGETT enjoys and recommends LEE MADGWICK’s new exhibition at Byard Art.

Art art exhibition byard art Kings' Parade lee madgwick Tabatha Leggett

Byard Art, 28th April-22nd May

Lee Madgwick’s new exhibition at Byard Art is truly beautiful. Having previously exhibited as far away as Brussels, Amsterdam, and New York, Lee has recently returned to Cambridge to showcase his urban Britain-inspired works.

Lee, who currently lives in Ely, explained: “Most of my current work focuses on an element of mystery and suspense.

“I hope to achieve a haunting emotive quality. A feeling of something happening, yet hidden from the viewer’s glare. Thus initiating a sense of unease, vulnerability and isolation, in an already formidable atmosphere.”

And he certainly exceeds this aim. Every piece of work displayed in Lee’s exhibition, which particularly focuses on scenes from East Anglia, is intricate, precise, and invokes a somewhat eerie feeling within the viewer.

His collection includes images of abandoned vehicles, desolate houses, and graffiti laden objects. “I find so much beauty in dereliction and abandonment,” Lee explains. And this theme is certainly predominant in this particular collection.

Lee has an enviable ability to see beauty, mystery, and even vulnerability in discarded scenes and motionless objects, which he translates onto canvas precisely, and with comfortable ease.

Photos by Abi Lander

Fans of Byard Art will recognise some of Lee’s paintings from last year’s 10×10 exhibition: a collection of works by 10 artists, which were each 10×10 inches in size. However, Lee has added plenty of new works to his collection, including numerous larger pieces.

The current exhibition also includes pieces by local sculptor Carol Peace.

Byard Art provides a great open space for any exhibition, and this particular show benefits from the gallery’s uncomplicated design and lighting. My only criticism regarding the exhibition’s layout is that too many of Lee’s paintings (at least four or five larger pieces) are exhibited around the till, where it is impossible to view them at all from a distance. This is a real shame, and it would have made more sense to display the smaller pieces there. Moreover, this area does tend to get rather cramped when the gallery is full.

Otherwise, this is an enjoyable exhibition, which I wholeheartedly recommend to anyone who finds themselves near King’s Parade, avoiding revision.