Exclusive: Fry To Debate At Union Next Term

Stephen Fry and Kissy Sell Out will debate the relevance of classical music in one of the highlights of the Union Easter termcard. More names and details inside.

cambridge students Cambridge Union Cambridge University dj kissy sell out frankie hill khaleda zia miss world stany mcchrystal Stephen Fry stephen sondheim

Cambridge favourite Stephen Fry and Radio 1 DJ Kissy Sell Out will take to the Union’s debating floor in what is set to be one of the highlights of the Easter termcard.

The Tab can exclusively reveal that the two stars will each try and win over the chamber on the motion of ‘This House believes classical music is irrelevant to today’s youth’, a debate held in conjunction with the charity Vocal Futures.

Sticking with the musical theme, Stephen Sondheim – best known for writing the lyrics for West Side Story and for composing Sweeney Todd – will address Union members in late May.

The musical stars appear to have hit the right notes for members and non-members alike. Toby Martin, a first year Sidney student, said: “The line-up looks pretty awesome, especially Stephen Sondheim. If I could pay for termly membership (i.e. less than £150), I would.”

And the return of national institution Fry to Cambridge has inspired some college pride. First year student Louise Holt told The Tab: “Being a Queens’ student, I’m very excited to see Stephen Fry, a Queens’ alumnus, at the Union.” But not all speakers may be as well loved as Fry is.

The visit on May 6th of retired US army officer Stanley McChrystal, nicknamed ‘The Runaway General’ for his public criticisms on government policy on US troops in Afghanistan, may well incite controversy.

While most recently known for this event, McChrystal is also credited with the death of the Al Qaeda leader in Iraq, and was heavily criticised in trying to cover up the friendly-fire shooting of US soldier Andrew Tillman in 2004.

The themes of state secrecy and terrorism that McChrystal has been involved with will also be debated in the term. They follow on from the visit of political activist and whistle-blower Julian Assange last term.

Women are also well represented, with visitors including actress Judi Dench, a female former Prime Minister of Bangladesh and beauty queen Miss World, the Union seem to be trying to bring in a wide range of people, something Sidney fresher Mollie Arbuthnot picked up on.

She told The Tab: “This is what makes the Union worth it for me; I can think of very few other institutions that could draw prominent figures from politics and business as well as entertainment and the arts.”

But not everyone is raving about the line up. Alexa Prichard, a third year from Fitz, said: “The speakers and debates this term sound interesting, but not so much that I want to become a member.”

With exam term looming, president Francesca Hill is trying to encourage the Union as a place to de-stress, with ice cream workshops, film nights in the chamber, and their annual garden party. Hill explained to The Tab: “Exam term is not the apocalypse, and it’d be silly to treat it as such. Living in the library is just not an option.”

Check out the Union website or Facebook page to see the full Easter termcard, available from 11pm tonight.