Rango

Johnny Depp voices an animated chameleon and isn’t the star of the show? ADAM LANDA is as confused as you are.

adam landa animation chameleon cowboys Film johnny depp pirates rango western

Directed by Gore Verbinski

[rating:3/5]

It’s always disappointing when a really promising film doesn’t quite reach its potential. But that’s just what happens in Rango, Gore Verbinski’s latest animated offering. It’s not bad, by any means – individual elements are wonderful and propel it far above the industry standard. But a confused identity and an unlikeable lead prevent it from achieving the greatness that was clearly just out of its reach.

Johnny Depp stars, voicing a bumbling pet chameleon catapulted into the grim Western town of Dirt as it struggles through a water crisis. Here, he invents himself as ‘Rango’, a legendary gunfighter, and is soon appointed Sherriff.  But Rango finds himself in over his head when it becomes apparent that there is conspiracy afoot (shame on anyone who doesn’t spot the baddie within seconds of his appearance), and his luck seems certain to run out. Highlights of the supporting cast include a superb Bill Nighy as a villainous, gunslinging rattlesnake.

Rango is a love-letter to the Spaghetti Western, and Verbinski hits the bullseye with some stunning visuals. Dirt is no wonderland: its inhabitants are surely the mangiest to appear in any kids’ film, oozing personality and better animated than certain stars of Verbinski’s Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy. The desert is a character in itself, wonderfully detailed and overwhelmingly vast. Best of all are the imaginative dream sequences, as well some clever uses of light (look out for a gorgeous, ominous red sunset). Only Rango himself feels out of place, garishly green in contrast to the natural tones of his environment.

In fact, it is with Rango that the problems begin. He’s really just a bumbling comic relief, and not always a good one – some jokes clunk into place like docking cargo ships. Depp’s madcap performance grates against the harsh Western setting, especially when the story darkens. Equally unimpressive is his ‘romance’, more of a ‘what the heck, lets shack them up’ moment than a believable relationship. Depp acts his heart out, but never gels with the rich environment – the other characters are more interesting, and certainly more likeable.

In a similar vein, the film is let down by confusion over what it really is. IMDB’s genre rating (‘animation/action/adventure/comedy/family/western’) says it all. Like all post-Shrek animation, Rango spews fourth-wall defying ‘nudge-nudge’ references for older viewers, but these mostly fall flat. On the other hand, the slapstick comedy for the kiddies clashes with the film’s dark, confusing Chinatown-esque plot. Mexican-standoffs become less tense once you realise that it’s a PG – there’s not exactly going to be much gore (Verbinski). Unnecessary social commentary and naff moral messages round out a list of disappointing flaws eating away at the heart of the film.

Rango is worth seeing, but don’t expect much substance behind the wonderful visuals. It’s a good length, mostly well-paced, stunningly designed and features plenty of exciting, well-executed action. But in the end, this can’t make up for the disappointment of an inventive film with many great individual moments being let down by internal confusion and an unappealing lead. ‘Don’t spoil the moment’ begs one character, as Depp winds up for another bumbling comedy spiel. Couldn’t have put it any better.

httpvh://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-OOfW6wWyQ