Music Listings: Week 8

The Tab’s listings for the final week of Lent term.

Abba Cambridge chas and dave Interpol Music music guide music listings the conr exchange

The Tab’s final listings for the term:

Monday 14th March

7.30 PM: Example, The Corn Exchange, £16

Fantastic breakthrough rapper who made a big impact last year, a bunch of top 40 singles, and big festival performances. He’s really on his way up. His third album will be huge when it arrives later this year, mark my word.

Tuesday 15th March

12 PM: Lunchtime concert, West Road Concert Hall

Final of the CUMS concerto competition and NW Brown prize.

8 PM: CUMS II, West Road Concert Hall

Steven Craigen conducts Beethoven (Egmont Overture), Mendelssohn (Violin Concerto) and Sibelius (Second Symphony)

Wednesday 16th March

7.30 PM: Chas and Dave, The Corn Exchange, £25.50

The word ‘classic’ is used a lot in their press release. That might be pushing it. Expect a lot of fun in their pub-sing-song-style show. I guarantee you’ll see your bedder there. Pricey though.

9 PM: Tomb Crew, Emma Ents, £3

The last Emma Ent of the term (and probably the year) sees bass fanatics Tomb Crew visit Emma to deliver some high-decibel, low-frequency mash-ups, and mixes. Expect to hear the kind of bass that breaks windows and makes dogs whimper.

Thursday 17th March

7.30 PM: The Stranglers, The Corn Exchange, £25.50

The gods that are The Stranglers are coming to Cambridge. Get excited. 16 million albums over a 35 year career, and they still have the ability to headline festivals and fill stadiums. See them if you can – remember when music used to sound this good?

8 PM: The Primitives, The Haymakers, £10

Glorious ‘80s indie-pop. Thrashy guitars and a focus on melody. Remember the 1988 single Crash? No? Well listen to it, it’s pretty good. Also The Haymakers is one of the most intimate and lovely venues you will ever go to.

Friday 18th March

1.10 PM: Lunchtime concert, Kettle’s Yard

Ligeti (Trio for horn, piano and violin)

7.30 PM: Handel’s Tragic Muse, West Road Concert Hall

Karina Gauvin (soprano), Bernard Labadie (conductor) and The Academy of Ancient Music. Orchestral interludes from Ariodante and arias from other operas by Handel.

7.30 PM: Thank You For The Music, The Corn Exchange, £22

The Bee Gees and ABBA on the same stage, in the same night, in Cambridge!? Well no, but as close as you will ever get: camp covers of tasteless pop. A Dignitas advert masquerading as a musical event.

Saturday 19th March

12 PM: King’s Foundation Concert, King’s College Chapel

CUCO, King’s College Choir and alumni conducted by Stephen Cleobury. John McMunn (Tenor), Alec Frank-Gemill (horn). Britten (Serenade for tenor, horn and strings) and Mozart (Requiem).

10:00 PM: Jodie Harsh presents Circus: The Pyjama Party, The Junction £9.

Circus themed, drag-queen hosted dance-a-thon. Promises maximum fabulous-ness accompanied by ‘a melee of circus freaks and go-go dancers.’ The DJ diva spoke to The Tab last year. Expect house music and a brilliantly bizarre evening.

Sunday 20th March

19.30 PM: Lent Term Concert, Wolfson College

7.30 PM: Interpol, The Corn Exchange, £25

Once upon a time The Tab named Turn On the Bright Lights as the single best album of the ‘00s. Interpol are both haunting and uplifting, they transcend genres and defy expectations. Interpol are idiosyncratic and alienated and yet easy to listen to and pleasantly familiar. By far the most exciting gig of the year.

httpvh://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGdT2yRrcTs
Interpol – NYC – Glastonbury 2005.