Asians Crown Jules (Huppert)

Cambridge MP Huppert picks up an award from an unlikely source for being one of the most “refreshing and energetic” people in politics.

asian voice backbencher of the year award bike boffin Cambridge geek julian huppert lib dems science sir george young train station

Underfire Cambridge MP Julian Huppert has received some welcome support for his efforts this year by a national magazine.

Readers of Asian Voice (AV), a weekly newspaper that has been running for the last 37 years, have voted Huppert Lib Dem Backbencher of the Year.

AV stated in explanation that he has been “one of the most refreshing and exciting MPs” elected last year. Huppert declared himself delighted to be getting this “highly prized award from such a prestigious magazine.”

In trying to find their winner, AV may well have been won over by Huppert’s enthusiasm for all things Cambridge, as he can often be seen riding his bike or showing off his geeky love for science.

Jules gets his gong from Commons leader Sir George Young

Hannah Keal, chair of Cambidge Student Liberal Democrats, was full of praise for Huppert, telling The Tab recently that he is”fighting hard…for students,” and that “his influence as a strong independent voice does the residents here justice.”

Not everyone may think him so deserving though, as Huppert has come under increasing pressure in recent months for his behaviour in the coalition.

Last month a group students waited outside Cambridge train station – some donning masks of the MP – to protest about EMA cuts, but were left disappointed when he did not turn up.

And last week Ashley Walsh, a 2nd year Downing historian, revealed his intention to stand for local council in the Lib Dem stronghold of Castle ward, with a main aim to try and win support of voters “betrayed by Julian Huppert and the Liberal Democrats.”

Regardless of these complaints, it appears Huppert did enough in the mind of AV readers to dissuade them from an alternative vote.