Queens’ and Downing Shine in Robinson Head

Queens’ take the men’s event by one second from Downing, who look good ahead of Bumps.

college rowing downing rowing lent bumps queens' rowing robinson head Rowing Women's rowing

Queens’ M1 won Robinson Head by 1 second, laying down their challenge to the Lent bumps table, while Downing showed their strength across all fields.

Queens’ produced an excellent performance to win narrowly on Friday afternoon, in a time of 8:43. Downing came in second, with St Catz 2 seconds behind them, while Pembroke were a further 3 seconds behind.

The most interesting result for bumps predictions, however, was the failure of Trinity First and Third to produce even a half-decent performance, trailing by 22 seconds to runners-up Downing, who start behind them in bumps. If FaT fail to improve significantly over the next two weeks, Downing look certain to take the much coveted headship.

Although neither Jesus nor Caius raced, Queens’ confidence will be boosted from the result, and will look to continue building on it as they plot their approach to bumps.

Catz should  be feeling similar. Their low starting position in division 2 of bumps certainly not representative of their speed, they will be aiming for blades.

Downing beat Caius to win the M2 category, who will start in front of them in two weeks time, by 25 seconds. They will be hoping to take the M2 headship from FaT, whose slow performance bore remarkable similarity to their first boat.

In the women’s division, Downing continued the success of their men, winning the event by a comprehensive 54 seconds, reinforcing their dominance on the river this term. Newnham and Christ’s, in 2nd equal, were a long way off the pace.

In a trend which covers all categories, FaT W1 will certainly be wary of the challenge Downing W1 present to their headship position.

The FaT girls did not race this week and will have to be at the top of their game to hold off their rivals.

With Pembroke regatta, the only side-by-side event of this term, next Saturday, comparative speeds will become even more obvious. At the last event before bumps, expect to see good racing as crews try to demonstrate their speed under pressure.