Trinity on for Treble After Super Win

Trinity beat Lincoln College, Oxford 2-1 to take the Super Cuppers trophy.

catz football college football football cuppers super cuppers trinity football

Trinity stayed on course for an impressive treble as they won The Super Cuppers 2-1 against Lincoln College, Oxford at the weekend.

Matches between the winners of Cuppers at Oxford and Cambridge have been organised informally and sporadically for the best part of two decades. It’s only in the last two years though that The Super Cuppers has been an official event.  Last year Catz, Cambridge won 3-2 over St. John’s, Oxford.

Trinity, who top the PWC Division One table on goal difference ahead of their game against Catz this afternoon, were huge favourites.  They are up against a Lincoln side which had won a shock Cuppers win last year and are mid-table in the other place’s third tier.

Playing in a borrowed red strip following the last-minute realisation of a kit clash, Trinity took the lead in the very first minute of the game, to silence the enthusiastic home support.

The Trinity side who won Cuppers last year

Having pressurised the Lincoln kick-off, the visitors won a free kick on the corner of the box, which found the head of Mike Smith who coolly nodded it in at the far post.

It took a stunned Lincoln side a while to come to life, but when they did their equaliser came quickly. Nathan Riddell’s long throw was flicked on through a sea of bodies and slid through to the outstretched boot of Sam Townsend, after 15 minutes’ play.

The first half remained tight.  Riddell tormented the Trinity defence with his tenacious running, and Richard Simmonds looked effective in the middle of the park.

Lincoln did have their goalkeeper Peter Gee to thank for a few confident saves but their defence, well marshaled by captain Nick Worsley, just about dealt with lively Trinity forwards Ossie Akushie and Dany Gammall.

The Cambridge side’s inability to convert chances, apparently reluctance to shoot, continued into the second period.  In the first 45 minutes, at times Lincoln rode their luck, Townsend in particular asked put in some crucial tackles as the reassuringly safe hands of Gee were repeatedly called into action.

The Super Cuppers winners in action earlier this season

Trinity did have some defending to do themselves though, demonstrating some confident passing. The uneven surface meant neither side was able to cling onto possession for long and as the match went on, still nothing could separate the teams.

Smith used just one of his four available substitutes, but nevertheless his side looked refreshed as the match went into extra time, and produced a string of chances before eventually scoring. Exactly 100 minutes after they first took the lead, Jamie Rutt’s delight at heading home another free kick was evident, and Trinity never looked back.

On top of the game and still creating chances, the victory went the way of the impromptu Reds, with Lincoln running out of answers in an energy-sapping period of extra time.

Will there be more silverware for Matt Smith and his side?

Captain Matt Smith was gracious in his praise of the defeated side, but will be delighted to have a trophy in the bag with the climax of both the League and Cuppers around the corner.

The two teams shared a now traditional post-match curry, summing up a great event in the Oxbridge sporting calendar which was fiercely competitive but always respectful and, dare one say, friendly.  It may not hold the prestige of Varsity, but another Cambridge victory over The Other Place is always sweet, and is a good omen for the serious business later in the term.

Sam Burne-James is a regular writer for The Oxford Student.